Tomcal

Mexico a unexpected visit

I am heading back t o Merida Mexico next weekend, this wasn't planned but my relator called and said 3 houses that he thinks I would like came on the market and I should see them ASAP as he didn't think they would last long.  I said that the airfares were reasonable but this being the high season there wasn't anyplace to rent for the weekend in the location I wanted! He said "no problem you can stay at my place in the guest house!"  I should explain that this was the 2nd realtor I was dealing with on my last trip there as they do not have MLS in Mexico and each realty firm has their own listings, you need  to work with several agents to see everything that is available.  When I met him at first I did not know he was gay!  In the course of the day I realized it so the last night I was there we had a party and invited him and he brought over 3 very good looking guys!  A Cuban, a Venezuelan and a Mexican! Two of them were really stunning!  He is a lean nice looking guy about early to mid 40's and very successful.  At the party that night I showed him photos of Brazil...well actually I showed him photos of the guys in Brazil!  He said " I have to plan a trip there with you!

He says "I will pick you up at the airport and we will go drop off your luggage and then we will go out to find some hot guys and on Saturday we will go look at houses!"  This guy understands customer service!  :-) 

• Members

Tomcal, since my last visit to Mexico City I am actually intrigued by the real estate market in Mexico.  I went to visit a friend who stayed in a fairly nice and modern apartment in a slightly rough neighborhood for 6000 pesos a month.  I was shocked that he had such a nice place for what amounts to $300 USD a month.  Now, I know that million dollar properties exist in Mexico but, for someone thinking about retirement in 10 -15 years I really don't want to take out a mortgage.  Would you be willing to share the price range for acceptable housing in your area of Mexico?

Sure!  For around $200,000 -$240,000.US u can get 2000 sq ft with a pool, 3 bed/3 bath in the historic section all updated, i.e. Stainless steel appliances, nice bathrooms.  If you are a beach person, 20 minutes from centro you can buy a single family home on the beach for $300,000.+. You can easily live on $1500./mo US if you are relying just on SS

Tom, that actually sounds pretty reasonable compared to most places on the coastal US. 

About 2% of what that equivilent would cost in Ca.!  I am talking in Mexico about houses on the Water!  Nothing between your front door and the water except sand!

Property taxes are very minimal about $200. - $300. US a year on a $250,000.  Utilities about $300. - $500. A year with the bulk of that going to A/C during the hot summer months(i won't be there then and the house will be closed uo so i expect to stay on the lower end!

Here is a youtube video of the house i am negotiating on in Mexico.  But i am going  back down this weekend to look at 7 more homes since i and the owner have not reached a agreement yet and i want a 2nd and 3rd choice!  Btw the ceilings in all the historic homes are 18' tall.  And the doorways are 12' and the colors are bright! Some of the homes are remodeled to look like a NYC or LA Modern Condo but i like and want the authentic and colorful Mexican cultural look!  http://carolkirbywilliams.point2agent.com/Listing/VirtualTourSupersized.aspx?ListingId=184333518

• Members

Tom, that place looks awesome!  I've looked into it and the flights to the rest of Latin America are considerably less when the plane is originating from Southern Mexico.  Combine the inexpensive flights with the liberal visa requirements and you will be running a literal Playboy Mansion in Mexico:lol:  Godspeed with the negotiations!  

P.S. who are all theses guys that you'r having the bacchanals with?  I assume they are locals, but I did not think that Mexico had such a high concentration of gorgeous guys.  Perhaps your little slice of heaven is specifically blessed with an abundance of beautiful brown boys?

I have met these guys thru floridarob who i knew and it turns out his friend's Boyfriends are quite the HO's!  Lmao

tonights party at the place i was renting turned out to be a lot of fun in the kitchen when we would go to mix drinks for the guests!  With the "BF's" of the guys who came! Thats all i am saying!  :-)

• Members

Tom, I'm very happy for you!  When I'm back in the office I'm just counting the days until I can escape to Latin America.  I feel as though I'm in a straight jacket when back in the States.  However, if I never traveled, I would never know what I was missing out on.  You are definitely living the dream!  How are the flights to the rest of Latin America, are they as reasonable as I imagine?

12 hours ago, Darkseraphim said:

P.S. who are all theses guys that you'r having the bacchanals with?  I assume they are locals, but I did not think that Mexico had such a high concentration of gorgeous guys.  Perhaps your little slice of heaven is specifically blessed with an abundance of beautiful brown boys?

I was surprised also!  there are many 21 - 28 yr olds that are typical for that age group and then there is a whole nother level of gorgeus guys. I was fortunate to get to know this realtor who has introduced me to his friends who are early. 40's and who have BF's in the 21 - 25 yr range!  Two of the guys that came last night are "print models" for fashion two of the other guys the venzuelean and Cuban are here semi permenently working at whatever they can make money at and with their looks they are doing well and have benefactors!

• Members
7 hours ago, Tomcal said:

I was surprised also!  there are many 21 - 28 yr olds that are typical for that age group and then there is a whole nother level of gorgeus guys.

Tom, so you are getting a "curated experience" :smile:  I love Latin guys and Mexico is very convenient however, to get the type of guys I like I have to dig a bit harder.  So when you were describing literally a dozen gorgeous guys in one place I was shocked. However, it makes perfect sense now.  Your new friends have connections and access to high quality guys through the varying modeling agencies in the area.  From what I've seen in the states the legitimate modeling agencies don't have to do anything but gather a bunch of gorgeous guys and gals in one place.  As you describe it, some, but by no means all, will be interested in making some extra money as most models hardly make anything in terms of cash.  Tom, I see what your'e planning you're going to open an agency with a few local partners and enjoy a very pleasant semi-retirement B)

I will take possession of the house in 30 days.  The.process has been pretty easy so far. I have both a Mexican and American(living in Mexico) real estate agents working with a attorney in mexico. You have to put 10% down to start the process and the 90% balance at the closing! Then about another $10.000. - $12,000. In MexicanTax and "closing costs on top of the final purchase price.  But not much red tape actually a lot less paperwork then buying a home in the U.S.

22 minutes ago, Darkseraphim said:

Congratulations Tom!  I'm standing by for reports of beautiful brown boys frolicking by your pool.  We should all aspire for our own gay boy mansion ;) 

Thank you Darkseraphim!  

One thing i should point out is only one of the guys has been "brown" so far! 4 have been european i.e. Spanish, italian and white mexicans and one was 3/4 mexican and 1/4 chinese and one white Cuban. But i am sure that these % will change as the numbers go up! :-)

Guest lurkerspeaks

Congrats Tom. It should be easier to import a few Brazilian boys there since they wont have that pesky US visa requirement