Guest bobbalino

Rio police mean business

Guest bobbalino

Rio police are still waiting for November pay. That is how far behind things are. They are using tactics such as 'work to rule' and threat of walkouts, and things may escalate this week with a formal strike. Who can blame them? Already, presence this month in beachrecreation/ tourist areas has been substantially reduced, concomitant with an increase in crime in those areas ... actually anecdotal reports as the resources for accurate assessment are not employed.

Anyhow, the word is to be extra vigilant about protecting oneself from petty theft, for example, in beach zones. Some resident groups are advising not to bring expensive devices, or more than the bare necessities in terms of cash/credit, on beach outings. 

Prison staff also striking ... you may already know there is mayhem throughout the country in that system.

Public libraries also closed due to lack of funding.

The city's health secretary anticipates a surge of dengue and Chikungunya this season. Yellow fever is spreading in Minas Gerais, the state north of RJ state.

I think our visits can still be great. Some of you may opine that these things are par for the course. Just be as careful as you probably already are.

Guest bobbalino

Once one is there in Rio, things seem to be (and are) pretty normal and the residents are clearly enjoying life. The odds of victimization are going to be somewhat higher imminently, but remain low overall. I just wanted to summarize the current context, as several of us are Rio-bound for their summer.

I live in a relatively desirable area in a "respectable" Canadian city. There are blood stains on my block from a recent vicious stabbing, and there have been shootings since I located to this neighbourhood. One a fellow shot in the back (killed) on the street just because somebody wanted to murder a stranger for kicks, another a nurse shot dead in the crossfire of police shooting a mentally ill homeless person throwing around a trash bin. 

Guest bobbalino

Correct, "essential services" at the 30% capacity you quoted ... now the Nov wages are paid and Dec wages are committed by the end of the week, so it will cool down somewhat. But if they have to strike repeatedly at a pay loss just to keep up with leveraging wages entitlement, I expect they will become more and more pissed off.