TotallyOz

Kennedy Grandson Arrested After Defending Gay Friend In Bar Brawl

A 22-year-old member of the Kennedy family arrested after a bar fight early Thursday was defending a gay friend who was being bullied, his father said.

“Conor has always reacted against bullying,” said Robert Kennedy Jr. “I’m happy he stood up for his friend.”

John Conor Kennedy — who goes by Conor — had asked a group of four men to apologize to his friend for calling him a common homophobic slur an hour before the fight erupted at about 1:40 a.m. outside the Bootsy Bellows nightclub, Robert Kennedy said.

One of the men did come over and apologize to his friend at that point, he said. But when the crowd began leaving the club an hour later, at least two of the men began using homophobic slurs against Conor Kennedy’s friend again and he told them to stop, Robert Kennedy said.

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/cops-kennedy-family-member-arrested-after-aspen-bar-fight/

11758483-large.jpeg

• Members

I've had that happen, more than once and learned my lesson. And Ha, it's in Colorado too...Exactly where I had a similar incident some years ago. 

Usually what happens is said gay friend bosses up or acts obnoxious in some way toward strangers or other patrons, which provokes an argument. They may not be the aggressors or the initial ones to start it, but usually don't shut up or just walk away. Oftentimes (a guy like JCK) ends up being in the vicinity when drunk gay friend acts up, causing them to (unintendendly) get involved. Fight breaks out, cops show up, innocent friend (JCK) ends up getting arrested when in reality the gay friend and the bullies should have been the ones arrested. But, based on this thing called "probable cause", police like to make the easiest arrest possible by going after whoever is Caught in the act of defense, regardless of whom instigated it. 

So nowadays, I tell my gay friends to never get me involved in their gay drama or pretend I'm their bodyguard out in public while they're drunk, so they can get feisty and expect me to jump in. No. Fight your own battles. Because you're not going to end up getting me arrested.

Generally, if it's truly a case of self defense or the person was simply a 3rd party, his case should get dismissed in court. But, not after the whole befriending a lawyer, feeling scared for months and wasting 3-4 mornings in arraignments and retrials and pretrials for such nonsense.   I wouldn't doubt that Kennedy and the gay friend be friends for much longer....

No physical contact occurred between the men and Conor Kennedy’s gay friend, Robert Kennedy said, terming the incident “menacing.”