likeohmygod

US dollar quickly falling down against Brazil Real

Guest bobbalino

I just bought a batch by necessity for an imminent trip ... to supplement a sizeable leftover bundle from earlier in the year. So overall did OK on balance.

I decided to hold off purchasing reais for snowbirding in the new year. The recent blip may be partly due to a one-week legally mandated deadline for overseas money repatriation by Brazilians into Brazil, that investment infusion augmenting an already improving economy.

It could level out or gain some more. The forecasts in economically and politically turbulent Spring ranged from 2.5 to 5 ... what's the point of attempting to second-guess, I have to wonder?

Guest bobbalino

And USD continues to pound pounds, usurp euros, lunch on loonies, and over the long haul anyway, outpace pesos. 

Mexico, Colombia, and Brazil this winter will involve some belt-tightening.

Guest bobbalino

I received a PM asking me to clarify "belt-tightening" this winter ... all I meant was that compared to last winter the 3 currencies MEX, COL, BRZ have strengthened. I am not forecasting anything. 

I have been to brazil when the dollar was 1.00US to 4.00R and i have been there when it was $1.00US to $1.50R  so it is still much better then it has been in 2009 - 2014. But no matter what it was it never kept me from going! :-)  it just meant my brazilian trips were more expensive then other times!

Guest bobbalino

I second that emotion. The latest average Rio monthly income is $397 USD, well below national average, with one-third below their poverty-line standard. I do not begrudge any strengthening the real brings to bear on that unfortunate real-ity.

• Members
On 11/11/2016 at 5:45 AM, likeohmygod said:

1400 USD for a seat in Premium Economy...i hope.

I got my economy class round trip ticket from Italy to Rio for just 600€

No, those seats are for regular economy. I am looking at next summer, so the fares are probably not going to go down until capacity can't be reached at these fares.

On 11/10/2016 at 8:20 PM, Lucky said:

Dollar down, airfares up! Almost $1400 to fly to Rio from Palm Springs. We used to be able to get frequent flyer awards in coach for 40,000 miles R/T. Today they wanted 150,000...no kidding!

This seems to be the peak holiday price.  If you avoid flying between December 15th and Jan 15th, you can easily get the fare below USD$900.

Screenshot_2016-11-22-06-17-42.png