Gaybutton

Cherry - Gaybutton's Latest Restaurant "Find"

Actually, I should call it a "rediscovery" rather than a "find." I've eaten at Cherry several times. RichLB first told me about Cherry a year or so ago. It was a nice little inexpensive restaurant that served good steaks at very inexpensive prices. They had a small, barely acceptable salad bar along with it.

This evening Geezer invited me to go out to dinner. He said he just found a great restaurant at very reasonable prices. When I arrived to pick him up, he said to go to Third Road and start looking for a parking spot when we get close to the X-yte disco. I said, "You're talking about Cherry, aen't you?"

I asked if he was referring to the same place I was thinking about. He was talking about wonderful soup, a dessert menu, and food beautifully presented. That's not the Cherry I remembered.

It turns out that the restaurant has been completely re-done since I was there last. They have a fabulous chef now and the menu has been entirely changed. The salad bar isn't even there anymore. There is a marvelous set menu that includes an appetizer, soup, main course, and dessert with a choice of coffee or tea at 295 baht.

We ordered from the ala carte menu. We each had a great salad, and an excellent garlic bread was served with it. I chose the crab, shrimp, and avocado salad. Geezer had the salad with Parma ham and cheese. Both were excellent. We each had the cream of potato soup, which was one of the best I've ever had. We also each ordered the pork chop with a marvelous sauce, melted Swiss cheese, and a vegetable stuffing. It was incredibly good.

They even have a selection of fine wines.

For dessert Geezer had tiramisu and I tried the Crepe Suzette. I've had Crepe Suzette many times in my life, and this is the best one I have ever had.

The food was absolutely beautifully presented. I mean it was almost as beautifully presented as you would expect at Casa Pascal.

Our total bill came to 460 baht each.

Cherry is a marvelous little restaurant that I highly recommend. It is on Third Road, almost directly across from the X-yte disco. They open at 2:00 PM and close at 1:00 AM.

Give Cherry a try. I think you're going to be just as delighted as we were. It definitely makes it to my top ten "go to very often" list.

Last night I went to Cherry again, this time with another close friend who is in Pattaya this month. After I told him how much I liked it he wanted to go. Off we went.

We each started with an appetizer. He had the pan-seared scallops, which he loved, and I tried the frog legs Provencale. Both were appetizers terrific and so beautifully presented.

Then we had a soup course. He had the mushroom cream soup and loved it. He said he loves fresh muchrooms and his soup was chock full of them. I tried the French onion soup and it was done perfectly, with the touch of Sherry in the soup and the cheese crouton on top.

Then we each had a salad. I tried the same salad Geezer had the other night and fell in love with it. He had the mixed green salad. It was enormous . . . almost a meal in itself.

For the main course I had the lamb chops. They were very good, cooked just right and served with a rosemary sauce on the side. He had the Osso Buco. He said he has had Osso Buco all over the world and this was the best he has ever had anywhere. Next time I go, I want to give it a try.

Desert was the sour cherries with a scoop of ice cream. It was just like Cherries Jubilee. Marvelous.

The total bill for the two of us came to 1100 baht.

This is a marvelous little hole-in-the-wall restaurant and I was just as delighted with it the second time as I was the first time. Try it. I have a feeling you'll be back again and again. I know I certainly will.