SolaceSoul

The plot thickens: USA Olympic swimmers may have lied about their gunpoint taxi robbery

• Members

Could it be that the drunken entitled lads spent all their money on hookers at a brothel, missed Olympic Village curfew, and needed to make up a story that just so happened to defame an entire nation?

"The men, who said they were intoxicated upon leaving the party, said they could not remember the color of the taxi they took, or where exactly the assault took place. Investigators have been unable to find the taxi driver who delivered the swimmers back to the Olympic Village."

http://nyti.ms/2bcT0gi

• Members

You are probably correct that these guys got drunk and spent all their money on hookers, but, how this defames an entire nation escapes me.  Brazil has plenty of problems without these two chiming in.  I only wish the best for Brazil but until and unless they get rid of some of their (all seems impossible) crooked pols, things likely will not improve by very much. 

I am reminded of a fairly recent accident where Brazil air traffic control ran a corporate jet and an airliner together over the jungle.  The airliner went down but the corporate jet continued to a safe landing.  A Brazilian judge tried to keep the pilots in Brazil which was silly and unconscionable. 

All this is similar to winning a war.  Whoever wins gets to write the history.  In whichever country one happens to be, the country gets to write the rules.  Up to a point.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest lurkerspeaks

Personally, I think that the robbery more than likely did take place, and the Brazilian government is covering it up to keep face with whole world watching. But that is just my two cents worth. 

• Members

Several European newspapers are mocking the whole story (including London's Daily Mirror)

Where on earth people are robbed of all belongings but allowed to keep their cellphones?

In a city with 80.000 troops in the Street thieves would dare  to put 4 athetes laying on the street while robbing them at gun point!

The cab driver that drove them from the party was not the same that took them to the Olympic Village. None were found despite all transactions being eletronically recorded.

The footage of their arrival at the Olympic Village after their ordeal shows four guys laughing and at ease.

Ryan Lochte is a well known media-whore. Right after his first Olympics he hired a manager to get him reality shows, endorsements and public appearances. He was with Prince Harry on the occasion of his nude photos in the notorious Las Vegas orgy and the day after the Rio thing he became the most looked up person on Google. 

Just saying...

• Members

So, it looks like I was right. The US swimmers made up the story about being stopped in their taxi and robbed at gunpoint by fake police. Turns out that the privileged entitled "ugly American" pricks (led by 32-year-old Ryan Lochte, who already had a reputation for being a knucklehead) got into a fight and damaged a gas station bathroom door, paid cash for the damage and fled the scene of the crime before the Brazilian police could arrive.

It wasn't hookers, but it was worse because these are actual crimes in Brazil.

"The entire episode, Winter said, “has tapped into one of Brazilians’ biggest pet peeves — gringos who treat their country like a third-rate spring break destination where you can lie to the cops and get away with it.” "

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/19/sports/olympics/police-say-ryan-lochte-lied-about-gunpoint-assault.html

Guest bobbalino

An un-winnable 4-man relay ... No breaststroke as hypothesized, but a freestyle account, later back-stroked on, and a partial butter-flying out. Maximum splash.