Guest lurkerspeaks

Rio Olympics behind the scenes

• Members

The salient part of the story right here. Investigative tip: find the cab driver. Protip for newbies: hire a driver for your stay. "The American swimmers robbed on Sunday were leaving a party at Club France, the French hospitality house established during the Rio Games in the upscale Lagoa neighborhood, the U.S. Olympics spokesman said."

I read in another article that the athletes are told not to leave Olympic Village. BTW, Olympic Village is in Barra Da Tijuca which is a 30 minute drive from the Lagoa / Copacabana / Ipanema neighborhoods in Zona Sul. So, if they took a cab there, unless they knew the driver, they hopped in a car with an unknown driver -- who might be in the area looking for unsuspecting "rich" foreigners there for the Olympics, and would just so happen to drive them into a trap.

As we learn more about what happened in this event, I feel bad for the swimmers.  They fucked up for sure. But, they did not completely lie.  The security at the gas station took their money at gunpoint. They were in fear for their life.

You and I must have read different stories. The report I read was the bathroom was locked and the pissed on the outside of the building.  I have done that when I can't find a place to take a piss. 

I know more to the story but in the end, they had guns pointed at them and could not get the off until they paid money. To me, that is a robbery.

• Members

This was no robbery. If it were a robbery, the 4 entitled white American pricks wouldn't have gotten back to the Olympic Village with their smartphones, their watches, their jewelry and enough money to take a cab back, then grinning like Cheshire cats and patting each other on the backs like they got away with some caper when they returned.

The film footage doesn't lie. Furthermore, the independent eyewitness who acted as the translator during the incident stated that there was no gun drawn on the swimmers, and that the swimmers were the ones who begged for the gas station workers not to call the police (for fear that they would certainly get into trouble):

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ryan-lochte-robbery-story-translator-opens-up-brazil-incident/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=27866056

There was definitely a gun drawn. Easy to see in the footage. Plus police said in the news conference the guard had a gun. Then the court extorted the 11k payment for charity.    So in the end, you have a few 20 year old jerks acting badly and a corrupt system doing what the do best. Extort.   Everybody looses.      Except the media.  Great for ratings. 

• Members
1 hour ago, msclelovr said:

I wonder. If four Brazilian athletes had visited the US and behaved similarly (caused damage, lied to the police etc), how would they have been treated by the American judicial system?

They would've been vilified, treated like animals. Calls for them to be held in American jails would've been loud as church bells. Their reputations, as well as that of the country they represent, would've been dragged across the mud. Endless discussions about how "those kinds of people" behave like animals, etc.

• Members
2 hours ago, paulsf said:

There was definitely a gun drawn. Easy to see in the footage. Plus police said in the news conference the guard had a gun. Then the court extorted the 11k payment for charity.    So in the end, you have a few 20 year old jerks acting badly and a corrupt system doing what the do best. Extort.   Everybody looses.      Except the media.  Great for ratings. 

Having a gun and drawing one are two different things. Police carry guns visibly all the time.