Lucky

Will ZIka Change Sexual Behavior?

• Members

Shocking news on the Zika front: It's more transmissible than previously thought through sex. Condoms can prevent it, so the pressure is on the barebackers. Even with Prep, they could spread this relatively new disease.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/nyregion/zika-new-york-sexual-transmission.html?hpw&rref=nyregion&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-wellimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeeiqAm1KVcLow7DMC0JB

Guest bobbalino

Guys, this suggests sexing responsizikably in endemic areas. Sexual partners with limited resources for condoms and with limited awareness can pass on zika to their ladies if they contract it through receptive anal or oral from a zika-carrying host with or without symptoms. Though in hotspot zika epicentres in tandem with hotspot microenceph epicentres (eg n/e Brazil) our local toy boys are likelier to have a run-in with an infected mosquito than an infected jizz-gifting tourist. Still, pays to be informed and judicious. Also, it's common knowledge ladies everywhere particularly less educated cohorts have suppressed voices in terms of negotiating safer sex, as do gay for pay economically disadvantaged garotos cranking up our arousal templates. 

• Members

Everything seems to be sexually transmitted, especially lust. ^_^

It is insane to think that "controlling" mosquitoes will have any noticeable effect on this virus.  Likewise suggesting the wearing of long sleeve shirts, long pants, etc.  i.e. enough clothes to have no exposed skin.  Maybe the gals of the 1920's had the right idea.  This might work in Alaska, Greenland or other far north or far south venues but don't try it with 110 degree heat index.

As seems to be well known, abstinence and condom use is not very effective.  A vaccine seems to be the best hope.  It might be interesting to see if more US resources are spent on a Zika vaccine than on a useful HIV vaccine.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest bobbalino

There is strong empirical and anecdotal support for clothing. After a vacay-slaying infection with dengue fever in Rio 15 months ago I have been subsequently happy to wear lightweight slacks and lightweight comfy shoes rather than flip flops. Aedes egypti cruise and land low and I have greatly reduced occurrence of bite welts. The math is incontrovertible. 3 bites versus 10 bites ... yields 70% risk reduction. BTW FYI dengue poses a vastly greater morbidity and mortality risk for folks on this site.

People have asked me why I risked my health in the Amazon ... Never been remotely close. Jungle is safest place in terms of zika, dengue, and Chikungunya. Amazingly, many lack awareness 'skeeter is just the baton from one Homo sapiens to another. Since ramping up vigilance, I notice bikini clad preggers in high people density districts in Brazil. Great tan, nice teeth, fucked foetus. Education and accuracy in effective prevention of course key.

• Members

I agree that "other" diseases pose more risk.  OTOH, it only takes one "bite" from a mosquito to produce whatever it happens to be carrying.  :(

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

For most people it's a mild illness, sometimes not even noticed.

"Zika fever (also known as Zika virus disease) is an illness caused by the Zika virus.[60] Most cases have no symptoms, but when present they are usually mild and can resemble dengue fever.[60][61] Symptoms may include fever, red eyes, joint pain, headache, and a maculopapular rash.[60][62][63] Symptoms generally last less than seven days.[62] It has not caused any reported deaths during the initial infection." Wiki is your friend. <_<

I'm not too sure about that no deaths business. It seems to me that I saw a few reports that in very rare cases the virus can cross the blood/brain barrier and cause serious, even deadly, brain inflammation.

• Members

But, that's changing, which is why I started the thread. Obviously I did a bad job of conveying my point, but scientists are now thinking that adults can get brain damage from the Zika virus. That's a whole new ball game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/08/18/zika-can-infect-adult-brain-cells-not-just-fetal-cells/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_zika-1230pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory