AdamSmith

Crawl through a digital Apollo 11 Command Module

Calling all space freaks... :):alien:

[IMG]

Columbia, the Apollo 11 Command Module, is on display at The Smithsonian, where you have to view it from some distance and have only limited views into the interior. Now the museum and Autodesk have laser-scanned the interior and exterior of the craft, and made the high-fidelity 3D models available here:

http://3d.si.edu/apollo11cm/

Easily navigable entry point is this auto-play annotated step-through of the interior:

http://3d.si.edu/apollo11cm/boxes/play-cm-ext-rc6-int-rc5/cm-interior.html

• Members

I have nearly been arrested and certainly threatened with expulsion from at least 3 different aviation museums largely because of the limitations you mention above. 

Once the AP's stopped me at Wright Pat because I was beyond the ordinary bounds of visitors.  I was merely looking for the storage place of the LGM (Little Green Men) who everyone knows are housed or stored on this AFB.  They politely but pointedly insisted that I return to where the other visitors were having fun.

At this very same museum my friend and I were looking at the B-70 Valkyrie on display there.  It is a big and tall aircraft.  We could see the 6 tail pipes of the so called 6 pack of jet engines but we could see nothing of the cockpit or the intakes, etc.  Therefore I went to a nearby wall and brought over a work stand that would elevate us 20 or more feet into the air.  We had no intention of touching the aircraft, merely looking at the interior.  That lasted about 2 minutes before someone came over, asked what we thought we were doing, suggested we return the work stand to its former location and report to a desk he pointed out.  At that desk was a docent who produced a book about 1 foot thick and commented, what do you boys want to know about this aircraft.  1 hour later we said uncle.  We were happy to learn about the aircraft but their point was made. ^_^

The last time (that I remember or am willing to disclose) happened at Boeing Field in Seattle at the aviation museum there.  They had an SR-71 (Blackbird) on display.  I had seen one up close and touchable on the Intrepid in NYC so I was trying to point out some things to my friend about this aircraft.  Unfortunately it was roped off and the only way to see what I had in mind was to go past the ropes and under the aircraft.  We did this.  The guards or officials took exception to our viewing.  Come out from under there.  As soon as they left, we went back under there.  They were not amused.  Next time you do this we will call the cops, etc.  We said sorry and did not further ingress.

Exhibits should be meant to enjoy with close observation.  If they cannot withstand being touched, OK, but, still very close observation should be permitted or so I think.

Best regards,

RA1

Thanks for the above. ^_^