mvan1

Boeing's "dreamliner" isn't so dreamy

• Members

A few months ago, a couple of forum posters commented about their anticipated flights to Brazil via Boeing's so-called "dreamliner" aircraft - the Boeing 787. Several airlines use the dreamliner for flights to Brazil.

When the dreamliner first became used in commercial aircraft, many of us remember how often the dreamliner was grounded and removed from service for months at a time. The groundings were later determined to be due to onboard fires that were related to lithium batteries used during operation of the aircraft.

Now, something new is amiss with the dreamliner. According to the Seattle Times (a news reporting source located where Boeing is based), the dreamliner has problems with engine shut down during flight. Not a pleasant thought, by any means.

Having been a passenger, many times, on the dreamliner, I was not particularly impressed with the plane, comfort wise.

For those interested in this issue or for those anticipating being a passenger on the dreamline, take a look at this article:

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/faa-orders-engine-fix-on-176-boeing-787s/

Also, here is a related Bloomberg article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-22/repairs-to-ge-engines-ordered-after-dreamliner-in-flight-damage

As much as airline schedules permit, I will take my future flights on Boeing's other great seller, the 77W, an aircraft with a great safety history and continued reliability.

Guest Captainmick

My preference is to select Airbus. Only twice flown the Boeing 787 Nightmareliner and hope not to have to repeat the experience - best avoided. The Airbus A380 and the new A350 are light years ahead of anything that Boeing can produce. The A350 is the plane the Dreamliner should have been if Boeing had got their act together. Recent 4 leg Asian trip on two A380's, A350 and 777-300ER. All good flights but the Being is noisier and less comfortable than the Airbus.

• Members

My preference is to select Airbus. Only twice flown the Boeing 787 Nightmareliner and hope not to have to repeat the experience - best avoided. The Airbus A380 and the new A350 are light years ahead of anything that Boeing can produce. The A350 is the plane the Dreamliner should have been if Boeing had got their act together. Recent 4 leg Asian trip on two A380's, A350 and 777-300ER. All good flights but the Being is noisier and less comfortable than the Airbus.

I observed during flight how much more noise there is from the engines on the 787 than is heard on conventional commercial aircraft.

Another thing, the air seems much drier in the 787 than on other aircraft. I wonder if the drier air is due to the composite materials (plastic) used in constructing the 787.

• Members

I seldom (mainly don't) ride the airlines any more. I have never ridden in a 787 but I would if required for business. The last Boeing I rode in was a 777 from ORD to LHR. Nice flight and nice ride.

From the information I have viewed the 787 uses two packs for conditioning the cabin air. Therefore the "usual" dry air from using fewer packs than optimum should generally be precluded.

EVERY aircraft from general aviation, military or airliners has had "teething" problems. An "urgent" FAA directive requiring compliance within 120 days should acquire notice but not fear of flying on such. Immediate AD notes (Airworthiness Directives) should be ignored by no one, to include the operator and the flying public. Generally they require action before further flight.

Over the years various aircraft used by the airlines have been in favor or have been dropped from favor. Years ago I was very happy to ride on DL L-1011 from LGW to ATL. I may have been partly influenced by the fact that this flight cut 8 hours off my travel time from England to Memphis. Also, DL served alcohol to standby pax as well as free movies. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Gee, MS Guy, if no one rode on other than Boeing interstate and international, transport would almost come to a standstill. My strong preference is US airliners and Boeing in particular. Likely you are aware that Lockheed no longer manufactures any airliners and with the exception of the C-130 (Hercules) does little for the military. Public opinion and the economics eventually sent the L-1011 to obscurity. Still, I enjoyed the benefits afforded by DL with the flights from England and the amenities offered to standby pax. Again, maybe it was the alcohol + the long journey before the ride home. ^_^

I did not realize it was a slogan, never mind a trade mark. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1