JAYBLK

How Bad is the situation in Brazil?

• Members

Im curious about the opinions of those of you who live there. Brazilian democracy is only 30 years old. Are the institutions strong enough to depose a president without blood in the streets? What happens when the parties that united to impeach Rouseff turn on each other? Will the impeachments stop with her or her party?

• Members

So far no blood.

I was in Sao Paulo in April during one protest. The Avenida Paulista was packed fro one end to the other. No blood. Part atmosphere.

The corrupt inmates are running the asylum. Cunha and Temer are both dirty as hell. Yesterday the Supreme Court agreed to take up the investigation of Cunha, who has recieved bribes upwards of US$40 million and washed them through his evangelical church. Veep Michel Temer's supposedly taken US$12.7 million.

Nothing so much as a real-life reenactment of George Orwell's Animal Farm.

So far, nothing concrete against Dilma. Supposedly the excuse of switching funds between accounts at government banks is something that every previous administration has done. Congress and the populace think that someone else can drag this country out of this recession. Things seem to be getting worse before they get better.

The collapse of the seaside elevated bicycle lanes near Sao Conrado, just weeks after opening, is the latest indication of what is gong on here. similar to what happened in Beo Horizonte before the World Cup..

• Members

Yesterday was interesting. The leader of the House of Deputies, Eduardo Cunha, was voted out unanimously by the Supreme Court. It probably didn't help that in a sworn depostion he had testified to not having a connection to any foreign bank accounts. Oops. They found some in names of people in his family to the tune of USD4 million.  

Fitch and S&P both downgraded Brasil's debt and forecast that 2017 should be another year of economic contraction. 

• Members

Dilma is out for up to six months. Here crooked Veep Michel Temer has appointed a new cabinet with 8 less ministers to save money, Something Dilma wanted to do over a year ago and couldn't get passed by the obstructionist House of Delegates. The new cabinet is all-male and all-white, no one brown or black. By the way, Temer is not permitted to even run for election in 2018 or 2022 because of past political shenanigans. Whether or not Dilma didn't want to see what was going on at Petrobras while she was chairman, we now have a verified crook as president.

Every time I see a mosquito or get any type of bite or irritation, I'm scared shitless that it is either Zika or Chikungunya.  I know more and more people that have been getting infected with one or the other. Remember to spray yourself with off on your arms and legs. They say that the mosquito that carries the viruses isn't active at night. I don't believe the reports. If you don't have screens, turn on the air conditioning and leave the windows closed.

All of the airlines here are facing contractions in their businesses. I've found that GOL is doing the worst, facing bankruptcy and hoping for another cash injection from Delta. Check for fair sales. LatAM, Azul and Avianca as well have had great fares depending on the day and destination.

Inflation is rising. Business is contracting. Not a good combo. And the Minister of Finance is predicted to lower the interest rate to try to promote some business growth. Personally, my fixed line phone bill has gone up nearly 20 percent this year and my satellite TV went up 12 percent this month. The French rolls have gone up 15 percent in price here and the bakery is producing a smaller roll as well. Starbucks hasn't yet raised prices for coffee, Frappes or baked goods, but then the average Carioca isn't spending 20 to 30 reais daily like I do. LOL

AND MOST IMPORTANT - THE BOYS ARE STILL DOING THE DEED FOR 80 REAIS and 20 MORE TO COME.

Meio Mundo has raised their entry to 57Reais Mondays and Fridays, 50 Reais on the other nights.

• Members

IHPGUY,

Thank you for the updates. I'm going to Rio this summer so I've been reading about all the unrest in Brazil. My heart goes out to Brazil and it's all very discouraging. Hopefully it will all turn around soon.

How is this affecting the sauna culture? I would think that with increased financial distress, there would be more garotos working?  Has the Olympics coming made an impact, if any on the Rio sauna scene? 

David 

• Members

I was at Meio Mundo last night. Many new young guys. I was chatting with an American who comes down a lot. He told me that Medellin is phenomenal. And I found out why he is so popular with the guys. He pays them all 200Reais to get plugged. I think It took the boy all of 10 minutes.  One week's take home pay at the minimum wage.  I translated for him and set up a repeat date for today.  My guy from Duque de Caxias in the Baixada was happy to get 80Reais and spooged. Friday night was 100Reais including ejaculation for a guy from Volta Redonda. A very long bus ride.

Things will probably slow down before they get better. Post-Olympics, the building projects in Rio will mostly come to a halt.

The new Metro Line 4 will only be partially running with a rate of 25Reais/day for participants, officials and spectators. Only after the Paralympics will the public be able to ride it. A lane in each direction on the Estrada Gavea from Lagoa to Barra will be reserved for bus service only. This has been the Plan B for months. When the plan was accidentally revealed almost 3 months ago by the Minister of Transport, the Mayor got him to resign. I have my doubts if the spur to Gavea and the PUC/Pontifical Catholic University will ever be completed. Supposedly the short stretch needs another billion Reais.

• Members

State of Rio de Janeiro defaulted on a debt payment of USD 8 million to a French development bank today.  

Probably once the Paralympics end, the construction here will come to a grinding halt. 

Maybe an even better selection at the saunas.

• Members

63000 jobs were lost in Brasil during the month of April 2016

Moody's has predicted further recession here as the efforts by Temer and his band of crooked right-wing usurpers fails to restart the economy

Temer is supposed to be attempting to sell stock shares in public companies to bring in funds

The vote to impeach Dilma is supposed to occur sometime after August 2nd, around the start of the Olympics

and

now there is the youtube video of the gang rape of the teenage girl here

• Members
On 5/16/2016 at 10:28 PM, dmontes1999 said:

IHPGUY,

My heart goes out to Brazil and it's all very discouraging. Hopefully it will all turn around soon.

David 

I concur with David here!  I'm getting my news about Brasil from http://www.democracynow.org.  An amigo of mine who lives in Sao Paulo has been against Dilma for a long time and has posted lots on Facebook.  Since I don't know the ins and outs of Brasilian politics, I've kept moot.  I think I'll ask him to view what's on the site that I mentioned, for it is not corporate.  Last week it was reported that the US government and current administration is supporting what's happening politically in Brasil but have not come forward publicly with its position!

3 minutes ago, axiom2001 said:

I concur with David here!  I'm getting my news about Brasil from http://www.democracynow.org.  An amigo of mine who lives in Sao Paulo has been against Dilma for a long time and has posted lots on Facebook.  Since I don't know the ins and outs of Brasilian politics, I've kept moot.  I think I'll ask him to view what's on the site that I mentioned, for it is not corporate.  Last week it was reported that the US government and current administration is supporting what's happening politically in Brasil but have not come forward publicly with its position!

The website is: www.democracynow.org