TotallyOz

I just love Queers

In California, they are protesting the passage of Proposition 8 and many have taken to the streets. At the LA Mormon Church cries for: Tax this church and Just one Wife were shouted. LOL Totally agree with the first one and think it should be taxed. 20 million the church spent on this campaign and they need to be fully taxed.

Also, finally Madonna spoke out. My diva should have said something before but was mum on the topic. Finally in LA she voiced her opinion. A bit late dear!

Also, finally Madonna spoke out. My diva should have said something before but was mum on the topic. Finally in LA she voiced her opinion. A bit late dear!

Madonna leaves me cold and I couldn't care less what she says or does

Sure, I'm opinionated but labour under no illusions anybody else gives a monkeys what I say or think

what is it that entitles people in the public eye to think they can wow the rest of us 'ordinary' folks with their pearls of wisdom? - ok if they stick to what they are famous for, but please do not expect us to hang on their every word about every Tom, Dick and Harry subject

these people are just chunks of protoplasm like the rest of us

Signed: Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

Guest MonkeySee
what is it that entitles people in the public eye to think they can wow the rest of us 'ordinary' folks with their pearls of wisdom?

Some Americans are like sheep. Famous people are sometimes able to herd many to their point of view. The media is also able to manipulate the pliable mind of the masses.

Some Americans are like sheep. Famous people are sometimes able to herd many to their point of view. The media is also able to manipulate the pliable mind of the masses.

True. Willie Nelson convinced me to smoke weed. :)

Guest Steve1903

Celebrity counts for a lot in the US. How else can Big Arnie get elected? They also seem to cling to all that religious baggage way too much. Any chance a candidate for President can get elected if he says at the start "nah, I don't believe in all that God stuff"?

Some _______________ are like sheep.

Celebrity counts for a lot in ____________________.

Monkey and Steve, you can fill in the name of almost every country in the world there. Sure, there are a lot of idiots in the US.........and I'd guess that it's about the same percentage as wherever you're from.

P.S. Arnie has turned out to be a pretty damned good governor. I watched him rather coherently explain the other night on a CNN interview that, as governor, he feels it is his job to do and support what the majority of the people want and to ignore ideology from either his party (the Republicans) or the Democrats. Pretty smart for a dumbass weight lifter (which he really isn't). There's good reason he is fairly popular in California. When he was first elected, I was dumbfounded (thinking he was just a rather dense movie actor) but I will admit that he's surprised me over the last couple of years.

Guest Steve1903

Sorry Bob I disagree. A celebrity in the UK can get involved in many things but when it comes to being elected I do think we'd tend to want to know what he/she stands for first whereas in the US I'm convinced celebrity status just about gets the celeb over the winning line.

I just don't think it's wise to get into the game of suggesting that the citizens of your country or my country are dumber, more susceptible to celebrity, etc. And, given I'm from the US, perhaps I might be in at least as good (or better?) position than you to know how folks around here feel about celebrity?

But.....since you seem to be going there, out of humor I offer the following:

Guest laurence
But.....since you seem to be going there, out of humor I offer the following:

Wow! Now that is hitting way below the belt. I love it when Jay Leno (A US TV talk show host) asks similar questions of equally ignorant Americans.

I love it when Jay Leno (A US TV talk show host) asks similar questions of equally ignorant Americans.

Yep, it's funny as hell when Leno does that (and makes me want to cower in the fear that the world will find out how many dumbasses live over here). On the other hand, I also suspect that he could do the same funny bit in almost any city in the world (and I'm sure they edit so as to highlight the stupid answers given).

What has me laughing is the fact that this thread was supposed to be about protests regarding California's Proposition 8 and the idea that churches should be taxed. Meanwhile, instead of commenting on the subject at hand we have people arguing about which country's populace is stupid. Well, that kind of gets me wondering . . .

Guest laurence

The thread is like a staff meeting at work, which we all hated. Starts out on topic and then ends up somewhere totally off track. But, at least, this thread is more enjoyable. As for the Mormons well better to label them Morons! Anyone that would subscribe to their beliefs is moronic.

As for the Mormons well better to label them Morons! Anyone that would subscribe to their beliefs is moronic.

I'm not Mormon but maybe it's a bit over the top to simply assert that a large group's religious beliefs are moronic. That might be said about every religious group.

But poking fun at them is okay by me. Do you know why Mormons never have sex standing up? It's because they don't want anyone to ever accuse them of dancing.....

Am I on topic yet? :p

Guest laurence
Not at all religious myself but why are the Mormons "morons" in particular?

Their basic tenets and beliefs are a bit weird although that could be said of most religions. One example is they "baptize" dead people so they may enter into heaven.Not the recently dead but people who have died many years ago. That is why they maintain massive genealogy records.

I was just playing with the name of their prophet/angel, Moroni, when I used "morons".

Just google Latter Day Saints and you can judge for yourself.

What I don't understand or can fathom is the apparent Mormon tenet that only 144,000 are going to make it to heaven. You're kinda fucked, aren't ya, if they've already been chosen?

In a somewhat related story, I was up in Luang Prabang, Laos, with the bf a few years back and I was sitting in the lobby of a resort there waiting for the bus to town. There was a group of about 15 people (60 to 75 years old) that were taking group photos and I volunteered to help them out so they all could be in the photo. After that, we were talking and it turned out that they were a group of Mormon missionaries on vacation for the weekend from their regular haunts in Phenom Phen, Cambodia, where they were converting the heathens to Mormanism. While I didn't say anything, I began to get steamed and I really wanted to ask them why they couldn't find 144,000 dumb asses in Utah instead of coming to asia to screw up the minds of a perfectly good buddhists. But I held my tongue.

P.S. Like GT said in the initial post, Madonna should have used her "tongue" earlier. There, I'm back on subject?