mvan1

Workplace inquiry - are you gay?

• Members

At work I don't "advertise" the fact that I'm gay but I certainly wouldn't deny it. Since I work in a construction environment, there is an implied attitude that gay is not acceptable.

My company provides medical insurance (at no cost) for domestic partners. There is at least one gay co-worker has put their partner on his medical insurance. So, I have no concerns if my employer figures out that I'm gay. My immediate focus is on my co-workers. There are some that I don't think would be comfortable around someone who is gay. So, I keep a low profile at work.

Not ashamed or uncomfortable with who I am. Just practical knowing that some people may have issues.

Guest zipperzone

Not ashamed or uncomfortable with who I am. Just practical knowing that some people may have issues.

OneFinger:I fully understand your reasoning and would probably do the same if I were in your situation.

Thankfully for me I have been in a job where no one gave a damn. I'm sure many knew or suspected but as I was usually in a management position

if they felt uncomfortable with it their only option was to quit.

Working in a "construction environment" you must be surrounded by hunky butch numbers. Lucky you :hyper:

• Members

OneFinger:I fully understand your reasoning and would probably do the same if I were in your situation.

Thankfully for me I have been in a job where no one gave a damn. I'm sure many knew or suspected but as I was usually in a management position

if they felt uncomfortable with it their only option was to quit.

Working in a "construction environment" you must be surrounded by hunky butch numbers. Lucky you :hyper:

zzipperzone, another reason I keep a low profile at work is because of the type of projects we do. The value of my current project is $1.5B and we've been in the per-construction phase for the past 18 months trying to finalize the contract. There were about 10 "key" positions where resumes had to be submitted and personnel "approved" by the customer prior to per-construction. My job was one of them.

So, I'm very careful to keep my personal and professional lives separate. There's nothing that could kill my career faster than inappropriate social media posts, public scandals or workplace gossip. I honestly don't think my employer would have a problem with the fact that I'm gay. But, they are very sensitive to the obvious fact that potential clients are vetting some of their employees before signing a contract.

As for the hunky workers, there are lots. But, I know I can only look and not touch.

• Members

I'm now at a very gay workplace, one of the 3 owners is gay as is the head of HR, various others as well.

And yet... there's no real reason for it to come up. Unlike them I don't have a husband in my life to talk about.

I just don't see any real positive because it's just not a part of my working life. Maybe some closer to me have an inkling but then again even gay people are usually surprised to find out I'm gay...

Guest kelt77

I'd actually like this. People are always shocked that I'm gay and I seem to have a hard time just bringing it up, though I'd never deny it. If you're single like me you can't just causally mention a boyfriend, either, as I'd like to. I'd like to just get it over with and this would be easy.