torogen

Renting a private apartment in Rio: language barrier, advisability, etc.

• Members

I have bought my ticket to Rio for April (!), and I am now looking for a place to stay. I usually look on VRBO or AirBNB, and there are a number of apartments in Ipanema and Copacabana available for a very reasonable price (38-60 US per night). At that price point, most are studios, but a few are 1BR. I have a few questions about this. Has anybody ever done it, and what was your experience? One concern if have is that most of them do not come with a lockbox or safe to lock up passport, etc., while I am assuming most hotels do. Some of them have 24 hour doormen--do you think I will have any trouble bringing people back to the unit, assuming I have rented it as a place for 2 people (I am traveling alone)? And one specific thing I am encountering is that many of the apartments are described as "conjugate" apartments. What the hell does this mean? A few examples: https://www.vrbo.com/3914910ha and https://www.homeaway.com.au/holiday-rental/p3682358 and https://www.homeaway.com.au/holiday-rental/p525409917

When I hear conjugate, I think first of verbs, but my second thought is conjugal, which seems entirely appropriate ;) but probably not accurate. Any clue?

I have been renting apts. for the past 6 years, prior to that I stayed in Hotels..I much prefer apts. to hotels. but if you like daily maid service and the other amenities then hotel is the way to go. also apts. are generally significantly cheaper then hotels in Rio! Usually even with doorman you wouldn't have a problem with guests. MY apt. does Not have a doorman which is unusual for Rio but there are two separate locked gates to get through before you can access the building and then the doublelocked apt.! Most I have seen have a lockbox but I don't use it I prefer to us a spot in the apt. to store my passport, money credit cards.

• Members

OK. It's funny that the lockbox is such a big deal for me. Maybe because a few of the ads show that they have a lockbox, but 90% don't. I guess I can just find a hidden spot.

I was leaning toward Ipanema, but there are more units in Copacabana. Mostly because Ipanema is closer to the gay beach. I figure I will spend the day on the beach, afternoon and evening in the saunas, and maybe late night at bars. Should I keep looking in Ipanema?

Copa vs. Ipanema is a personal choice. I prefer Ipenema but either will work. they are next to each other. My apt. in ipanema is a 15 min walk from the center of Copa. My apt is 2 blocks from Posto 9 the gay beach, and across the street from the Metro(subway) and within 2-3 blocks from many restaurants, ATM's, grocery stores, drug stores, etc. but the same thing can be said of many locations in Copacabana with the exception of the gay beach(which copa had but not as gay a Ipa's posto 9. Ipanema is slightly more upscale then Copa but agan for most not a big difference. In the map attached, my apartment is where the red box is in Ipanema and the red line is the route to the center of copa which is about a 15 minute walk.

post-119356-0-49288000-1453774673_thumb.

Guest riosul77

"apartamento conjugado" is a small, apartment, usually less than 50 square metres, with a kitchen , small living room with the bedroom "joined" to the living area, maybe with some division but not a separate bedroom, they will have a kitchen or kitchenette, separate bathroom. Referred to as a studio in N.America.

Not sure why they are referred to as conjugates in BR real estate ads. but IHPGUY would know methinks.

I tend to think of them as bowling alleys with one window at the far end of the, usually narrow, apartment.

For a short stay, if in an area you like, perfectly adequate and a hell of a lot less than a hotel.

Enjoy you visit.

• Members

"apartamento conjugado" is a small, apartment, usually less than 50 square metres, with a kitchen , small living room with the bedroom "joined" to the living area, maybe with some division but not a separate bedroom, they will have a kitchen or kitchenette, separate bathroom. Referred to as a studio in N.America.

Not sure why they are referred to as conjugates in BR real estate ads. but IHPGUY would know methinks.

Ok, thank you, Riosul77! Joined--that makes sense. I was afraid it somehow meant shared or something, like a mother-in-law apartment. I'm assuming they just used Google translate or something and assumed that "conjugate" made sense in English!

• Members

And one specific thing I am encountering is that many of the apartments are described as "conjugate" apartments. What the hell does this mean? A few examples: https://www.vrbo.com/3914910ha and https://www.homeaway.com.au/holiday-rental/p3682358 and https://www.homeaway.com.au/holiday-rental/p525409917

When I hear conjugate, I think first of verbs, but my second thought is conjugal, which seems entirely appropriate ;) but probably not accurate. Any clue?

As Riosul explains, it's just a butchered attempt at an English translation of the Portuguese conjugado.

Quick apartment hunting vocabulary:

Conjugado = Studio

Cobertura = Penthouse

Um Quarto = One bedroom

• Members

Make sure you check you listings on vrbo and airbnb...some do explicitly state that you can't have guests over. I had apartments in Sao Paulo and Rio and had no trouble bringing guests up. Make sure you know exactly where you are renting as there are favelas near ipanema and copa. Just because it says that doesn't mean its necessarily in a safe area try and get a sense of the street address. Beachfront or a few blocks back is best.

I found one apartment that looks quite decent for $40 per night in the location shown in this Google Maps link. Just curious what people think of this area.

The apartment is in Copacabana, you will be fine. location is central to the beach and you can walk to Ipanema, you are in the heart of the tourist area....

I strongly suggest renting a hotel for your first trip since you speak no Portuguese and hotel staff can give you suggestions, schedule tours, etc.

Based on your questions, you may be better off starting off with a hotel so that you can learn your way around Rio and then book an apartment next trip...

I personally prefer hotels for the breakfast, security, staff to clean after me, etc....I have never had a problem with having a guest come back with me but don't do that often anyways....you can have all the fun you want in the saunas...

Just some feedback based on your slew of questions and uncertainty about a hotel versus an apartment....

• Members

Rua Figueiredo de Magalhães is one of the busiest streets in Copa. If you do choose to rent, find out what floor and if the apartment faces the street or not. Depending on location and floor, there can be lots of street noise from trucks and buses, Let alone music from neighbors.

• Members

I am not fluent in Portuguese, but I'm not entirely helpless, either. This use of "conjugate" just baffled me. My sister-in-law is from Brazil, and I also have three months to brush up. Plus, at twice the price for the cheapest hotel, they are simply out of my range. I do appreciate the advice, though.

It is a good location, around the corner from the large Marriott Hotel on the beach blvd, close to many restaurants, stores, groceries, etc. If you walk one block over to Rua Siqueiro Campos, and hang a left, about 3 blocks away is the metro station and another 2 blocks past that is Pointe 202 sauna(202 Siqueiro Campos)

• Members

Thanks for all the advice. I tried to post a few options to ask questions yesterday, but couldn't figure out how to add an image to my post. I got some help on that in another thread, but I had already snagged a deal. I rented the place outlined in RED in the image below. I did want to ask, since so many cheaper apartments were available in this area, what do people think of the area outlined in green in my image? It's the area on the "point" between Ipanema and Copacabana. Is that a desirable area to stay?

post-129341-0-39152200-1454069876_thumb.

I also noticed an interesting thing. AirBNB seems to use some sort of dynamic pricing, where the people offering apartments must set a range of prices, because the prices of the apartments would change almost hourly depending on your search parameter. There was a great 1 BR place that showed up for $49 per night, but when I went back to rent it later, it had jumped to $64/night. The apartment that I rented shows as $49/night in my image (for the week after my stay), but yesterday I paid $37/night for this same unit. It's a studio with a double bed, flat screen TV, WIFI, air conditioning, and 24 hour doorman. Now I just have to work on getting my visa...

Your apartment is in a great area, rua visconde de Piraja is the main commercial street which is a one way going towards Copa, my apt is three blocks east of you on that street, across the street from the green park shown on the map(and the entrance to the Ipanema Metro station) looks like you are R. Prudente Morais which is a one way heading toward Barra tijunca. You are less then 3 blocks from the gay beach, Citibank atm, many many restaurants most of which are on R. Visc. Piraja or one the side streets just off of it. As far as the area outlined in green, many many apartments in that area, it is closest to the Contagalano Metro station, the one between Ipanemas general Osario's and Copa's Siquiero Campos stations. It is a relatively safe area except after 10:00 pm I would recommend a taxi as that area has much less commercial business's then the areas around the Ipanema and Copa stations and is very close to a entrance to the favela, but overall very safe.

for reference Siiquero Campos is the exit for Pointe 202 Sauna, Gloria is the exit for Club 117 sauna and Uraguania is the exit for Meo Mundo sauna on the map attached!

post-119356-0-85843700-1454073669_thumb.

Thanks so much for your help, Tomcal. I take it you take the Metro? Or do you take taxis? I'm curious about the cost of a taxi from my apartment in Ipanema to, say, Meo Mundo.

Maybe you should hire Tomcal to plan your trip for you and reserve an apartment for you....that may be easiest for you since you seem to not have researched anything or don't want to make a decision based on your own research...

A few questions is common if things haven't been answered but seriously...I think he may have actually planned out your whole trip for you....

Tomcal...I see a side hustle for you to make extra $$$ for the garotos!!!

• Members

Maybe you should hire Tomcal to plan your trip for you and reserve an apartment for you....that may be easiest for you since you seem to not have researched anything or don't want to make a decision based on your own research...

A few questions is common if things haven't been answered but seriously...I think he may have actually planned out your whole trip for you....

Wow. I consider this research, actually. I researched plenty, but the people on this board seem very knowledgeable and helpful, and I asked for some advice. I'm not helpless, but I figure getting the info directly from the horse's mouth, so to speak, is very valuable. And it's easy to see that some people on this board (Tomcal, for instance) are not only helpful, but friendly.

• Members

Tomcal...I see a side hustle for you to make extra $$$ for the garotos!!!

This was actually something I was thinking, but with $ for the guide. I know a guy who makes a very good living holding the hand of nervous Americans who are traveling to South America for medical tourism (he gets approximately a 20% kickback from the doctors he recommends, and I think also from the hotels he recommends) . I can honestly see a niche for a similar service for the saunas of Rio! With a different business model, of course...

Wow. I consider this research, actually. I researched plenty, but the people on this board seem very knowledgeable and helpful, and I asked for some advice. I'm not helpless, but I figure getting the info directly from the horse's mouth, so to speak, is very valuable. And it's easy to see that some people on this board (Tomcal, for instance) are not only helpful, but friendly.

All good just noticed you asked a lot of repetitive questions and should take in mind your experience with be yours and will differ from Tomcals...mine or anyone elses based on what you are looking for...like....who you are as a person...etc...

True there are manyyyy different forms of research but asking the same questions that have been answered over and over again....Thank God for the patience od others and the great humor of Tomcal....he is definitely more friendly than I...

All in fun

• Members

I would also point out that the fact that a question was "answered" two or three years ago doesn't mean the answer from back then is still applicable. For instance, I see you asked a question about a year ago about the best night at each of the saunas, but nobody responded: http://www.boytoy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10900-best-worst-days-for-saunas-in-rio-and-porto-alegre/#entry141029 Luckily, when I asked basically the same question today, I did get a few responses (including from you, Badboy) saying that the list, which was originally posted 3 years ago, is still *basically* correct, with a few minor updates. Which is valuable information!