paulsf

American Airlines downsizes Brazil

• Members

The Economy in Brazil has caught up to AA. Changes now are just São Paulo. Starting April 5th Miami - São Paulo daytime flight is cancelled and the 3 evening flights are being downsized to old 777 from the newer and bigger 777w.

Do you recall where you learned about the reductions?

Thanks

• Members

It was posted in the AA forum in FlyerTalk.

Thanks.

I was wondering when the newer planes would be pulled from service considering the fact that the flights often go out with lots of empty seats. I am on the Brazil flights almost every month and noticed the increase in empty seats more than one year ago.

All good things come to an end, sooner or later.

• Members

What do I care. I avoid AA or UA and lately AC at any cost. I don't even care for their elite flyer status.

You don't have to care.

The OP alerted those of us who use AA to the fact that AA is cancelling the day flight from MIA to GRU and is downsizing and downgrading the type of planes used from MIA - to GRU on the evening flights.

The planes are going out with lots of empty seats. AA cannot continue to use its newest and most modern aircraft on less profitable routes. Hence, the switch to older and smaller planes for the MIA - GRU route.

If the AA flights from JFK and from DFW also continue to go out with lots of empty seats, logic tells us that AA could also expand the older planes to those other Brazil hubs.

The change to a less comfortable aircraft is something many of us will not like. The older planes that will be taking over the route do not have wifi aboard and the seats are not modern. The lack of wifi and modern seats make the long ride seem longer.

• Members

But I bet you will still continue flying AA. They are counting on you "loyal" customers staying with them no matter what.

Of course I will remain with AA. I also have top tier status with UA, Air Berlin and Austrian Airways. I intend to stay with those airlines as well.

Are the airlines without problems? Not at all. However, when we want to travel to places we enjoy, we have to take the less pleasant along with the pleasant.

When you have tier status with an airline there are many benefits.

One important benefit for me is when there is a missed connection or a mechanic delay. Having status takes away a lot of the aggravation of being re booked. Often, you don't need to talk with an agent. You simply check your smart phone and you will find your replacement flight already posted.

With respect to AA, they have the most flights to Brazil than any other carrier, excluding TAM and GOL. Why would I choose to not stay with AA when they have so many options for contingencies, despite the probable downsizing of aircraft to Brazil? In other words, if you miss your flight or connecting flight, AA has so many flights to Brazil, the missed flight is only an inconvenience.

If you took UA, for example and routed through their hub, Chicago or IAD or IAH or EWR, UA has only one flight each day from those hubs. If you happen to miss your connection or there was a mechanical, you would have to wait until the next evening to travel to Brazil. It is a no brainer to stay with AA, if you are a frequent Brazil traveler.

-

Guest lurkerspeaks

I would be GLADLY miss any AA or UA flights.

In fact I would rather wait a whole day at the airport for a flight than stepping on any AA or UA flight.

I have my pride and I would like to be treated like I am a customer.

I am curious, Scott, if you avoid AA or UA, who DO you fly? Delta?

What do I care. I avoid AA or UA and lately AC at any cost. I don't even care for their elite flyer status.

Whether it's cars, boys, football teams or airlines, etc. We all will never agree on anything 100%, saying that, i have flown 4,000,000 miles on AA since 1994. Why do I stay with them and yes even like them? Besides the reasons Mvan stated, by having status sticking with on airline there are perks that are more important to some of us...for example, I am 6'5", so having leg room is the most important factor to me on my flights! Having status gets me upgraded 90% of the time and when not upgraded, i can select exit row when i book the ticket. On long flights like Brazil which for me from the west coast is 13-1/2 hour flight, being upgraded is well worth my loyalty.

As far as how good or bad airlines are, I don't find alot of difference among the U.S. carriers(now Asian carriers are definitely a step up) I have flown many times to Europe/Canada/China/Australia and overall I am happy with AA and it's routes compared to either UA or Delta.

• Members

I would GALDLY miss any AA or UA flights.

In fact I would rather wait a whole day at the airport for a flight than stepping on any AA or UA flight.

I have my pride and I would like to be treated like I am a customer.

What happened with you and AA & UA? To be willing to spend "a whole day at the airport" to avoid these carriers must have been something awful.

Whatever is was, statistically, you will not have another bad experience in the future with these airlines.

Do you recall where you learned about the reductions?

Thanks

The reductions in American Airlines service to Brazil are noted in this FlyerTalk thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1349176-laa-777-300er-77w-schedule-routes-consolidated-32.html

American is reducing (but not eliminating) service to Sao Paulo on the new 777-300 (77W) planes. Currently there are 3 daily flights between Miami and Sao Paulo – two night flights and one during daytime hours. On February 10 the daytime flight will be reduced in frequency to 4 flights per week – on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. These weekend flights will still use the new 77W.

On April 5 American will switch one of the evening flights to the older 777 aircraft. There will still be one flight each evening from MIA to GRU and vice-versa on the 77W.

No changes have been announced for any other American Airlines flights between the USA and Brazil. This means that there will still be a daily flight to Sao Paulo from New York and from Dallas on the 77W. The daily flight from Los Angeles will also continue, but it uses a Boeing 787. And no changes were announced concerning flights to Rio – American will continue to have daily flights from New York and from Miami (both on a reconfigured 777-200)

Will there be more flight cutbacks? If the economic crisis in Brazil continues I suspect that there will. We will see what happens.

Guest bobbalino

Same trend Air Canada ... pulled Toronto-Rio. They lost $$ on my US575 May flight, for example, and then post-Games slump. Now direct to SP connect to Galeao running circa US1,275.

Just lucked out booking a day flight Copa via Panama, cuz my dates flexible. About US930 ... majority of dates running about US1100-1200.

On 10/8/2016 at 8:59 PM, bobbalino said:

Same trend Air Canada ... pulled Toronto-Rio. They lost $$ on my US575 May flight, for example, and then post-Games slump. Now direct to SP connect to Galeao running circa US1,275.

Just lucked out booking a day flight Copa via Panama, cuz my dates flexible. About US930 ... majority of dates running about US1100-1200.

how many hours is your connection time in Panama?  I belived I saw this route is 20+ hour total travel time outbound from the U.S........eeeeek.

Edited by KevinC

Guest bobbalino

14 hrs going, 14.5 returning ... 40 mins and 90 mins connections respectively, I did it before with bag and body transferring OK, though currently I am in the habit of strictly carry-on no-checked. You are right, the connection times in Panama can be lengthy as they vary according to city of origin. Once in a while, a flight from Canada is on the low end of travel-time. My system copes better with a day flight compared to a somewhat shorter red-eye. Copa also circumvents the "legal" connection minimum, stretching the duration requirements for international. Any one gate is extremely close in proximity to another. I also have a commute to Toronto as a factor dictating my options.