AdamSmith

Word for the day: Hypallage

hy·pal·la·ge
hīˈpaləjē,hi-
Rhetoric
noun: hypallage; plural noun: hypallages

• a transposition of the natural relations of two elements in a proposition, for example in the sentence “Melissa shook her doubtful curls.”

Hypallage (/haɪˈpælədʒiː/; from the Greek: ὑπαλλαγή, hypallagḗ, "interchange, exchange") or transferred epithet is a literary device that can be described as an abnormal, unexpected change of two segments in a sentence.

Contents

Examples

• "On the idle hill of summer/Sleepy with the flow of streams/Far I hear..." (A.E. Housman, A Shropshire Lad) — idle hill... sleepy is a hypallage: it is the narrator, not the hill, who exhibits these features.
  • "Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time" — Wilfred Owen, "Dulce et Decorum est"
  • "restless night" — The night was not restless, but the person who was awake through it was.
  • "happy morning" — Mornings have no feelings, but the people who are awake through them do.

In other languages

Hypallage is often used strikingly in Ancient Greek and Latin poetry. We find such examples of transferred epithets as "the winged sound of whirling" (δίνης πτερωτὸς φθόγγος), meaning "the sound of whirling wings" (Aristophanes, Birds 1198), and Horace's "angry crowns of kings" (iratos...regum apices, Odes 3.21.19f.). Virgil was given to hypallage beyond the transferred epithet, as "give the winds to the fleets" (dare classibus Austros, Aeneid 3.61), meaning "give the fleets to the winds."

Literary critic Gérard Genette argued that the frequent use of hypallage is characteristic of Marcel Proust's style.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypallage

• Members

I do NOT want my wings to whirl, either literally or figuratively speaking. Airplanes are already noisy enough and if you add my screaming, it becomes unbearable.

You and Bill O'Reilly. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

LOL....You gentlemen would do well to turn on CNBC....just sayin. The good doctor just started talkin bout us. :D

Oh Lordy. Can't bear to watch. I'm reading the Guardian's live reporting stream instead:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2015/oct/28/republican-debate-live-cnbc-trump-bush-carson

You get spared the dull bits, plus you get all the reporters' snarky cuts against the candidates. :devil: