mvan1

I won't be visiting the beach in Rio, any time soon

• Members

How gruesome it must be to see these "coffins" on the beach in Copacabana -

"nearly 4,000 violent deaths which occurred in the state of Rio de Janeiro in the first ten months of the year" -
Will the make shift "coffins" displayed at the beach stop the violent killings?

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-politics/rio-protests-high-number-of-violent-deaths-this-year/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRioTimes+%28The+Rio+Times%29

-

• Members

How gruesome it must be to see these "coffins" on the beach in Copacabana -

"nearly 4,000 violent deaths which occurred in the state of Rio de Janeiro in the first ten months of the year" -
Will the make shift "coffins" displayed at the beach stop the violent killings?

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-politics/rio-protests-high-number-of-violent-deaths-this-year/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRioTimes+%28The+Rio+Times%29

-

I thank you for sharing this with me/us. A few days ago, on national television, there was a news clip regarding the current robberies that have been taking place on the main beaches of Rio de janeiro. It gave me cause to be alarmed because next year, aside from Carnaval and New Year's, hordes and hordes of folk are going to ascend upon the beaches and all over Rio and other places for the 2016 Olympics! This is NOT very good news!

I was completely oblivious to all of the deaths that have occurred during the first ten months of 2015 in the state of Rio de Janeiro!

Again, thanks/obrigado!

• Members

I feel like I've seen this movie before. Cue the tanks and armored personnel carriers. Tell the uniformed dictator promising stability that he's on deck next. Meanwhile, the military police should be removing their uniforms so we can all "wonder" where the death squads came from. The middle class can practice incredulity and outrage at the suggestion that the vast majority of the "criminals" executed without trial or simply disappeared will be Black or Indigenous. Once they start killing white students, the country can insist on democracy again.

• Members

I feel like I've seen this movie before. Cue the tanks and armored personnel carriers. Tell the uniformed dictator promising stability that he's on deck next. Meanwhile, the military police should be removing their uniforms so we can all "wonder" where the death squads came from. The middle class can practice incredulity and outrage at the suggestion that the vast majority of the "criminals" executed without trial or simply disappeared will be Black or Indigenous. Once they start killing white students, the country can insist on democracy again.

Although the above post might appear extreme to some, unfortunately, a lot of what is in the post is true. Unquestionably, Brazil has its share of bigotry and hatred toward certain groups (gays included).

The Olympics, to be held in Brazil, are just around the corner. How will it all play out? Not even a fortune teller would dare venture a guess.

Despite Brazil's high crime, poverty, economy in disaster and bigotry, I will continue my visits there. As a foreigner (Gringo) in Brazil, I am only superficially involved with its ugly side.

By the way, the Brazilian real closed at 3.7961 tonight. The fact that the real is getting stronger does not mean that Brazil's economy is improving. Regard the fluctuation in the real as a seesaw i.e. - up and down.

-