AdamSmith

Seabird populations are crashing

Latest glad tidings on the environment front. :(

After 60 million years of extreme living, seabirds are crashing

A new study finds that the world's seabird populations have plummeted by almost 70% in just 60 years.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/radical-conservation/2015/sep/22/after-60-million-years-of-extreme-living-seabirds-are-crashing

• Members

This I am willing to believe is caused by human pollution and human overpopulation. I am not sure how we "protect" the open oceans considering the history of our international maritime laws.

As a side issue, we in aviation are not too fond of close encounters with birds. I live near a major flyway and have dodged birds more than once. I once had a duck hit and become lodged in the "V" of a V-tail Bonanza. Naturally the local wags accused me of hunting out of season.

It is a more serious and pervasive issue near any coast. Sea gulls are fairly large birds and seem to ignore any airport efforts to scare them away with noise or other non-harmful means. They only seem to move on when the airport property runs out of French fries. The "miracle on the Hudson" is only one in a long line of large and small aircraft either downed or damaged by birds.

I prefer to co-exist with all of our fellow creatures but they have to do their part.

Best regards,

RA1

when you swim in the seas and the oceans of the planet you occupy an environment which belongs to living things other than yourself. If you get bit, stung, or eaten alive, killed or maimed for life don't bitch and complain about it.

When you rotate an aircraft into the skies, you occupy an environment which belongs to living things other than yourself. If you're forced into a river, or worse, into the ground, don't bitch and complain about it if you're still alive to do.

If you travel into a foreign land and don't speak the native language, don't bitch and complain about it because no one else understands you. you should have more respect for the native people's language beforehand. [unless it's France]

This planet embraces and supports all forms of life. If any of it inconveniently gets in your way, it's telling you something you should know. About you.

• Members

Actually I believe in the survival of the fittest + kindness. Mankind can over come all creatures except mankind. Mother Nature is still in charge. Mankind is coming closer and closer to being able to destroy the Earth but Mother Nature at this point can still destroy mankind or so I believe.

I believe that mankind could co-exist with all those other creatures except for one thing---too many people. That simple fact is causing all the over fishing, the loss of species, starvation and many other ills that are not quick or easy to solve.

I plan on doing my part by not having any offspring and dying one day.

Best regards,

RA1