AdamSmith

2016 Olympics: 13 US rowers fall ill after competing at polluted venue

Someone asked that this topic have its own thread. Herewith...

2016 Olympics: 13 US rowers fall ill after competing at polluted venue
  • Venues have recorded high levels of bacteria from sewage
  • Team doctor suspects water is to blame for vomiting

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/aug/10/2016-olympics-13-us-rowers-fall-ill-after-competing-at-polluted-venue

• Members

Marina da Glória and Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas are filthy. Mayor Eduardo Paes lied aND continues the lie. The same 500 million budgeted to clean up the bay was used for the Deodoro installations. There were never any funds budgeted to clean up the bay. This is Brasil, if there was money there to spend, the politicians would have awarded contracts to friends for a healthy kickback. Lava Jatp lives

• Members

A World Rowing executive has now called for testing of viruses, in addition to bacteria. My guess is they couldn't solve the problem in time anyway, even when they identify it.

According to article linked just above, (ISAF chief executive Peter) Sowrey said a "backup plan" included sailing all the events outside Guanabara Bay in the open Atlantic.

The ISAF has three courses there, and three inside the bay, but Sowrey said it would be "heartbreaking" to sail outside the bay and lose the picture postcard backdrop of Sugarloaf Mountain that will be a focus of television coverage.
At least there's a Plan B. I'd hate for anything to happen to the rower narrating AdamSmith's Guardian film. :rolleyes:

1280x720-brL.jpg

• Members

More cut and paste drivel. I'm no expert. I only live on Guanabara Bay and can see and smell the water. It has gotten worse in the past three years. I won't even let my dogs swim on the water anymore.

Where therê are few natural currents to move the water, it appears quite crappy. Or maybe just full of shit. And the new pipe.for sewage drainage into the ocean via Ipanema from Flamengo is still uncompleted. So that means raw sewage from Flamengo and associated favelas still runs into Guanabara Bay less than one year before the games and while test events are now taking place. In the future, with raw sewage redirected into the ocean off of the beaches of Ipanema and Leblon, what does this say about the politicians and the care for the future water quality?

Guest riosul77

Marina da Glória and Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas are filthy. Mayor Eduardo Paes lied aND continues the lie. The same 500 million budgeted to clean up the bay was used for the Deodoro installations. There were never any funds budgeted to clean up the bay. This is Brasil, if there was money there to spend, the politicians would have awarded contracts to friends for a healthy kickback. Lava Jatp lives

Lagoa is truly disgusting these days,stinks when you walk around it. By the way , the beach showers are fed from ground water and reportedly polluted. You may be fine using them, assuming you venture in the waters of Copa cabana or Ipanema, but you may not want to ingest. I think a lot has to do with the resistance of the individual, brazilians can shrug off the bacteria/viruses exposed to better than many gringos methinks.

• Members

Typical IOCC decisions. They take the bribes etc with no thought of the real ability of the city and country to fulfill the needs of an Olympic Games.

Is anyone surprised that the waters in Rio are filthy. Is anyone surprised that rather then spending money to make the lives of its residents better it spends it on putting on an event that they lack the capability and money to do.

Some cities in the past have used the Olympics as a stepping stone to introduce their city to a wider audience. Barcelona comes to mind.

Does anyone think Rio need to be introduced to the world. It has been a World Wide Tourist destination for years.

Terrible choice not because the city and country are not beautiful but because the money required does not exist and I am sure poor people have suffered because of Government taking money away from programs for the poor to build Golf Courses etc. RIDICULOUS!

• Members

Why would you let your dogs swim in polluted water? They are a very important part of your family. So, protect them. I know you do. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

RA1,.they used to swim in the bay. Since I bought my place in January 2004, Guanabara Bay had been getting cleaner. My beach consistently had the best readings for the entire bay. The northern reaches get some fresh water currents supposedly. But for the past 2 plus years things have regressed. This coincides with the closing of the metropolitan area's largest landfill and the return to dumping untreated refused from garbage trucks directly into the bay. Something else the Guardian failed to report.

Guest parisrio2000

Is it possible they all got this from sucking the wrong cocks? After all it's only the USA rowers (girls I think) who got this, sounds like it was some "group activity" that only they shared, and not with the other rowers who are OK...sounds like they had a "fun gangbang" with the wrong local youths