TotallyOz

Michael Sam - Canadian Football League Debut Close at Hand

• Members

Almost no mention of him being gay in the article (that is good news) and no comments regarding such either. Are Canadian commenters more pc than US ones? Certainly they have been more accepting in general.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest Cranky

Today's news reports that Sam has given up football and exited for "personal reasons." He has been placed on the suspended list.

Michael Sam has announced that he's taking a break from football.

"I thank the Alouettes for this opportunity and hope to be back on the field soon. Thank you all for your understanding and support," Sam said on Friday via his official Twitter account.

The Montreal Alouettes defensive end added: "The last 12 months have been very difficult for me, to the point where I became concerned with my mental health."

Sam was the first openly gay player to be drafted when the St. Louis Rams chose him in round seven of the 2014 NFL draft. After being cut from the Rams he spent part of the year on the Dallas Cowboys' practice squad before signing with Montreal.

• Members

Sorry he is having those problems but I have to think he likely is doing the right thing by seeking help ( I hope that is what he is doing).

How many mentally unhealthy people are professional sports figures? I cannot think it healthy to beat up your wife or girlfriend, never mind killing them or friends. Of course, this instability is not limited to sports but most of the rest of it is not as high profile.

Crazies are everywhere. You and I may be the only sane ones and I am a little worried about you. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1