TownsendPLocke

Totally trashy music at a fundraiser for Black youth.

• Members

I attended a fundraiser in Las Vegas recently for an organization that, among other projects, helps to keep Black young folks in school. http://www.palazzo.com/entertainment/events/topspin.html

I was amazed at the music the DJ played during the main event. Lots of misogynistic, violence promoting, crap "Urban" music filled with obscene and filthy language.

I wrote a note to the event coordinator regarding my take on this ( pandering to an incredibly low base while chasing folks who might help their charity ((me)) away with a bad impression of their charity.

They are blaming the DJ-but they were paying the DJ and they were in the same room as I was-and have invited me back to next years event.

I am no prude- but I do hope that some standards are maintained. This music would have been fine in a raunchy night club or event, but it was totally inappropriate at this event.

I applaud you for writing to the coordinator. He/She should share your concerns with the Board and change the music next time. If I had been in attendance, I would have approached the dj and ask him to play something different or much more appropriate.

In March of this year I was at an event and just happen to have served on the committee who sponsored the event. Since I did not want to be out amongst the tight crowd prior to the event, I went into the ballroom to await its beginning and to perfect the table on which the special awards had been placed. When I heard the music which the dj's were preparing, I walked over to them and shared my concerns. Luckily, I had some great jazz cds in my auto, so I left and retrieved them. These dj's played what I had given them, and upon leaving I got my cds back. Attached was a very cordial note which they had addressed and thanked me!

All said, I do hope that the organization will address music selections, etc. for its next event and that the Board take your concerns seriously! Adults should not be perpetuating musicians and their foul lyrics at special events given by non profit or not-for-profit organizations. The music should reflect the mission!