wncdemcub

Flying between Sao Paulo and Rio

• Members

All,

I would like to get some feedback on flying between 2 domestic cities. In looking at the TAM and Azul websites the prices seem reasonable but the luggage fees (for a second bag) seem ridiculous. Am I missing something?

I am planning on packing a personal item (briefcase-like), a carry-on (which seems to be too big/heavy for a Brazilian carry-on) and a checked bag for 12 days visiting Brazil.

What do others do? I hope I am making sense in my inquiry.

Thanks

• Members

On my last three trips from NYC to Brazil, I did multiple cities. One trip was 5 weeks' 5 cities, another was 4 weeks, 3 cities, and another was about 2 weeks, 3 cities. On each trip, I end up paying overbaggage fees of about $125 USD per each Brazilian domestic flight. My check in bag is usually around 50-60 pounds and my carry on is about 20 pounds. This is well under international limits, which is about 75 pounds, but for Brazilian domestic flights, I believe the weight limit is right under 51 pounds collectively for check-in and 11 pounds collectively for carry-ons.

The best way to avoid this altogether is to fly from your origin point with less than 50 pounds total on check-ins and 10 pounds total of carry-ons.

Read this page for TAM's domestic baggage policies:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/TAM_Airlines/baggage.php

• Members

I just flew from Salvador to São Paulo on Tam and from São Paulo to Rio on Gol, round trip in each case. I checked one back of 25 kilos on each trip and had no excess baggage fee on any of the four flights.

25 kilos is about 55 pounds. The limit for check-in of Brazilian domestic flights for both of those airlines is < 51 pounds / 23 kilos. They probably gave you a lucky break since you were only over a pound / kilo or two. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't. Count your lucky stars. I wouldn't bank on it, though, unless you have a backup plan.