JAYBLK

Club 117 Rio-- How the mighty have fallen

• Members

I entered with high expectations, fed by the years of positive reviews. I left wishing they'd move the Olympics to Salvador or São Paulo. Just a bunch of bored looking muscle guys standing around. I guess this sauna survives on the strength of what it used to be. This was, by far, the worst sauna experience of the trip. And, unless caipirinhas cost R$55, I was ripped off by the house too.

• Members

Different poster- same bitchy disrespect on your part though. The way social media works is that we each express our view and later readers decide for themselves which to believe and which to discard. A forum that consists of identical reviews ultimately has little value. And when new posters are discouraged, the site becomes a conversation between old friends who reinforce each other's opinions. This site has potential to be an open, honest informative exchange rather than a front porch knitting circle.

• Members

I entered with high expectations, fed by the years of positive reviews. I left wishing they'd move the Olympics to Salvador or São Paulo. Just a bunch of bored looking muscle guys standing around. I guess this sauna survives on the strength of what it used to be. This was, by far, the worst sauna experience of the trip. And, unless caipirinhas cost R$55, I was ripped off by the house too.

Each sauna has what is known as "good days" and "bad days." This means that you can never predict the turnout at any sauna on a given day.

If you return tomorrow, there is a good chance the sauna will revert to the way you liked it in prior visits.

You might have heard the garotos and the clients walking around saying "fraco" which is a word that translates to "weak" but in usage in the saunas means that the sauna is not up to the quantity and/or quality of previous days.

Oh, yes, R$55. for that drink in a sauna is high. If you went to a five-star restaurant and ordered that drink, I doubt you would be charged as much. On the other hand, there are different ways to prepare that drink. It is possible that the sauna personnel used better quality ingredients, thus "justifying" the higher price.

All in all, for your first trip to Brazil, you seem to be weathering Brazil as a "first timer" fairly well.

• Members

[quote name="mvan1" post="142576" timestamp=

All in all, for your first trip to Brazil, you seem to be weathering Brazil as a "first timer" fairly well.

True indeed. It has been a blast, thanks largely to the generosity of people like you. I do however sometimes wish I had taken the advice of the person who pointed me to this forum. " Read but don't participate. They are knowledgeable but not welcoming"

While that doesn't fairly represent my experience, I can tell where it comes from.

True indeed. It has been a blast, thanks largely to the generosity of people like you. I do however sometimes wish I had taken the advice of the person who pointed me to this forum. " Read but don't participate. They are knowledgeable but not welcoming"

While that doesn't fairly represent my experience, I can tell where it comes from.

I am glad you didn't listen to them. But, when you are in a public area, you deal with all types of people and everyone that is successful learns to navigate them.

I have enjoyed your posts a great deal.

I agree with MVan1, if you go again another day it may be great. But, for me, I only need one amazing guy and I am all set and happy. LOL

• Members

I do however sometimes wish I had taken the advice of the person who pointed me to this forum. " Read but don't participate. They are knowledgeable but not welcoming"

I am pleased that you participated. I think you learned a lot to apply to your first trip to Brazil.

As to "They are knowledgeable but not welcoming" applies only to a handful of childish and argumentative guttersnipes.

It is easy to hide behind an anonymous internet screen. Those who write rude and/or obnoxious things rarely have the guts to say the same to you in person.

Those who are not welcoming are easy to spot based on their pattern of negativity. When you learn this about a poster, you ignore them if you cannot discuss an issue without the poster getting hostile.

• Members

Everyone has different tastes. For example, in spite of all the praise heaped upon Meio Mundo on this forum, my experiences there were underwhelming (and each of my traveling friends independently felt the same way). However, we all love 117. I can totally understand why someone would not like it very much, though.

Each night is different. Assuming you went last night (Thursday), it very well could've been a slower night. If there were not a whole lot of clients there, I can totally understand why the muscle guys looked bored (although you'd think they would pounce on the few available clients -- according to the rules of supply and demand). By the way, this (slow or off nights) sometimes happens at saunas in all the cities, Rio, São Paulo, Salvador, etc. Locals and expats probably shrug it off a lot more than tourists (particularly non-regular tourists) BECUASE the latter have too much emotionally (and financially) invested in every day and night being an off-the-charts good time.

If possible, if time permits, you should give each place a few shots on different days before making a final judgment. Even I went back to Meio Mundo 4 times before rendering my final judgment of "not for me!" Of course, if time is short, then just pick the best night for all. And remember, if the place just isn't right for you, there ain't nothing wrong with that. There's so much more to do in Rio, or Brazil for that matter -- and there's also non-working boy saunas for you to try.

It's funny how meeting that one right guy at a sauna just one time can completely shape of change one's opinion of the place. I suspect that didn't happen to you last night (bad night), but the total opposite could happen tonight or tomorrow night.

Guest parisrio2000

I am pleased that you participated. I think you learned a lot to apply to your first trip to Brazil.

As to "They are knowledgeable but not welcoming" applies only to a handful of childish and argumentative guttersnipes.

It is easy to hide behind an anonymous internet screen. Those who write rude and/or obnoxious things rarely have the guts to say the same to you in person.

Those who are not welcoming are easy to spot based on their pattern of negativity. When you learn this about a poster, you ignore them if you cannot discuss an issue without the poster getting hostile.

mvan are you talking to me...I've always been very nice to you

• Members

i was there thursday, and had a blast. you must follow all of tomcals words of wisdom, and have some fun... read everything he has written and you will.

of course the boys saw you as a new gringo... and asked for 300, but what did you ask them... or tell them... in my past 6 weeks here, none have ever said 300 to me. normal is 100 with everything, if you pay more that is your own choice, trust me the difference between 100 and 150 to us is not that much, and if that is their mark up to gringos, go with it. but at 300 i hope you said no, and walked away...

the trick i find, is to tell them by writing in the palm of your hand 100. they will then add 100, you shake your head no, try 120 or 150, if they still say 200 just say no abligato and walk away... later when they have no work they will come back to you for a new deal...

between 4 and 7:30 they want the max $$$, by 8;30 with the show starting at 9, they know their will be no work during the show, as most people will want to watch the show... by 9:30-9:45 they are thinking of their bus home, and anything after 10 will be too late. depending on how far they have to go to get home...

also try.... to find a boy who can speak some english, and buy them a drink and ask them who is good, what is your type, and they will help you out. (via tomcal) take the english talker out to dinner after words or buy him another drink,

so for the price of 2 drinks you would of saved 150 to 200R

we all have a club we like, in my book its 117, then point, then MM...

T

• Members

But, when you are in a public area, you deal with all types of people...

:lol: I used to advise people who wanted to work retail that retail involved dealing with the general public. And the general public meant everybody not currently under lock and key.

Posting on a public website has much in common with working retail except lots of folks in lock-up have access to the internet. ;)

• Members

by 8;30 with the show starting at 9, they know their will be no work during the show, as most people will want to watch the show...

That's your perspective, but there are quite a few sauna clients who aren't into watching most of the shows, and have a great time doing other things while the show is on. Other things like talking, eating with, drinking with and hooking up with garotos in the outside lounge, steam room time, XXX video room time, or chilling by "The Stairway To Heaven". The shows, entertaining to some as they may be, aren't for everyone. I like the strip shows and the sometime sex shows, and "bingo for boys" is cool, but I'm not a fan of sitting through the drag shows. That's perfect time for me to close In on some garotos! I find I do this at most payboy saunas in Brazil.

I think it's a good idea to use the advice at this site and other sites that works for you and keep the rest of it in your hip pocket. Your mileage may vary, so do what works for you.