mvan1

Two thousand more join unemployed ranks in Brazil

• Members

As if the Brazilian economy could not get any worse, Mercedes Benz announced that 2,000 workers are to be let go from its Sao Paulo plant and will join the ranks of the unemployed.

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-business/mercedes-benz-plans-2000-more-layoffs-in-sao-paulo-plant/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRioTimes+%28The+Rio+Times%29

There is no question that high unemployment is tragic for any country.

In Brazil it means there are many more young guys out of work and many will seek the saunas and the hustling areas of the streets to sustain them until they are back at work.

The ancillary "silver lining" is that the saunas and hustling areas are busier now than I have ever seen them in my prior trips here.

I feel that in view of the heavy unemployment, more caution is warranted while out-and-about at night considering so many people need money but have no work. This can cause robberies by people who ordinarily would not resort to robbery except for being unemployed and without money. After all, they do have to eat and support their family.