Guest tomcal

How we Got Gay - Discovery Channel 2015

• Members

I thought this was very interesting and showed how difficult it was up until recently to be gay in America.

https://youtu.be/_S0TRfmbbik

What a splendid documentary.

Young people (young gays, particularly) cannot possibly relate to what was done to the gay community only one generation ago. That documentary will help many realize some of the horrors that gays had to face, until the past couple of decades. Some of the horrors remain.

Although the documentary briefly mentioned that President Reagan and other politicians offered no government help during the AIDS crisis, the documentary should have included at least a portion of some of the hateful things said by the Reagan clan to justify their doing nothing about AIDS.

Following are but a couple of remarks that supposedly justified the U.S. Government ignoring AIDS and not funding research for finding a cure for it:

Jerry Falwell, a major supporter of Reagan and a source of millions of dollars of campaign funds said - "AIDS is the wrath of God upon homosexuals."

Reagan's communications director Pat Buchanan said that AIDS is "nature's revenge on gay men."

Thanks for posting that link to the documentary.

What a splendid documentary.

Young people (young gays, particularly) cannot possibly relate to what was done to the gay community only one generation ago. That documentary will help many realize some of the horrors that gays had to face, until the past couple of decades. Some of the horrors remain.

Although the documentary briefly mentioned that President Reagan and other politicians offered no government help during the AIDS crisis, the documentary should have included at least a portion of some of the hateful things said by the Reagan clan to justify their doing nothing about AIDS.

Following are but a couple of remarks that supposedly justified the U.S. Government ignoring AIDS and not funding research for finding a cure for it:

Jerry Falwell, a major supporter of Reagan and a source of millions of dollars of campaign funds said - "AIDS is the wrath of God upon homosexuals."

Reagan's communications director Pat Buchanan said that AIDS is "nature's revenge on gay men."

Thanks for posting that link to the documentary.

Thanks. I had forgotten about Pat Buchanan. He was a dick and I guess I was too young back then to know he had a part of the White House.

It was an excellent documentary and I didn't know that Canada was the FIRST county to legalize gay marriage. I guess I always thought it was one of those liberal EU countries.