Guest tomcal

Sauna's Business suffering due to economy

Guest tomcal

I spoke to one of the sauna owners today and he said they are looking at how to cut costs because business has slowed down so much the past couple of months. He said local customers who comprise 99% of their business base, have cut back their sauna visits substantially! Many have been laid off or had their hours cut. They don't have the extra "fun" money. I had mentioned before that Foreigners comprise a small fraction of a sauna's total revenues. He didn't say they are in danger of closing, just that they had to really watch expenditures. The silver lining in this is there are more guys showing up in the saunas to earn extra money. I did hear from a good source that while the new sauna opened up In Botofogu by Junior is small but "cute" and he had to find NEW boys to work there.. we need some investigative work done by some of the Brazilian expats on here!

According to Brazilian Financial news, this "recession" is going to continue thru this year, so doesn't look like sauna revenue is going to go back to former levels anytime soon.

Guest tomcal

Tues is a definite 117 night! Weds is going to slow at all of them, I would probably try the new one in Botofugo and Pointe in Copa

Thurs is another 117 night, and Friday is the 2nd best night of the week for Meo Mundo

Sat and Sun are 117 and pointe202 nights

Hope you have a great time and let us know if those nights end up being good!

• Members

I spoke to one of the sauna owners today and he said they are looking at how to cut costs because business has slowed down so much the past couple of months. He said local customers who comprise 99% of their business base, have cut back their sauna visits substantially! Many have been laid off or had their hours cut. They don't have the extra "fun" money. I had mentioned before that Foreigners comprise a small fraction of a sauna's total revenues. He didn't say they are in danger of closing, just that they had to really watch expenditures. The silver lining in this is there are more guys showing up in the saunas to earn extra money. I did hear from a good source that while the new sauna opened up In Botofogu by Junior is small but "cute" and he had to find NEW boys to work there.. we need some investigative work done by some of the Brazilian expats on here!

According to Brazilian Financial news, this "recession" is going to continue thru this year, so doesn't look like sauna revenue is going to go back to former levels anytime soon.

Not only the above, Brazil's Central Bank economists also predict worse inflation through the end of this year.

What has happened to our wonderful Brazil?

Even though the currency exchange rate has improved for foreigners, Brazil's out-of-control inflation has diminished much of our gain from the improved currency exchange rate.

For reasons that are complex, but understandable, it is the garotos who keep their prices far less than Brazil's current inflation. Most other commodities in Brazil are increasing in price daily.

Considering that foreigners are only a fraction of the clients of garotos, it is only a guess what the future brings to the sauna scene in Brazil. Logic tells us the saunas will continue.

However, if business continues to drop off at the saunas and fewer clients can afford to pay for entrance and/or garotos, it is conceivable that the few remaining saunas in Brazil could slip into history like other formerly popular saunas we have seen come and go. I doubt that will happen, but it is possible.

See this depressing article:

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-business/brazils-central-bank-increases-inflation-forecast-for-2015/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRioTimes+%28The+Rio+Times%29

-

Not only the above, Brazil's Central Bank economists also predict worse inflation through the end of this year.

What has happened to our wonderful Brazil?

Even though the currency exchange rate has improved for foreigners, Brazil's out-of-control inflation has diminished much of our gain from the improved currency exchange rate.

For reasons that are complex, but understandable, it is the garotos who keep their prices far less than Brazil's current inflation. Most other commodities in Brazil are increasing in price daily.

Considering that foreigners are only a fraction of the clients of garotos, it is only a guess what the future brings to the sauna scene in Brazil. Logic tells us the saunas will continue.

However, if business continues to drop off at the saunas and fewer clients can afford to pay for entrance and/or garotos, it is conceivable that the few remaining saunas in Brazil could slip into history like other formerly popular saunas we have seen come and go. I doubt that will happen, but it is possible.

See this depressing article:

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-business/brazils-central-bank-increases-inflation-forecast-for-2015/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRioTimes+%28The+Rio+Times%29

-

Your response sounds sad and defeated....Rest assured...as long as there are 3rd world countries around, there will always be places where Americans and Europeans can go and have a fucking good time for cheap cheap.....LOL

Tues is a definite 117 night! Weds is going to slow at all of them, I would probably try the new one in Botofugo and Pointe in Copa

Thurs is another 117 night, and Friday is the 2nd best night of the week for Meo Mundo

Sat and Sun are 117 and pointe202 nights

Hope you have a great time and let us know if those nights end up being good!

Thanks for the feedback....Will definitely look at those locations and particular days..

Do you know why all are boring/lame of Wednesdays?

Also, can you tell me a little bit about the layout of Meo Mundo...that is the only sauna I have never visited....I did hear you say that it has a lot of "twinks" or natural guys....

Guest loganguydc

What are the best saunas/nights to go in Sao Paulo? I am there in a couple weeks.

Tomcal, in another thread you mentioned Porto Algre. Sounds like a great place for me to try next.

• Members

Your response sounds sad and defeated....Rest assured...as long as there are 3rd world countries around, there will always be places where Americans and Europeans can go and have a fucking good time for cheap cheap.....LOL

Yes, my opinion sounds a bit sad. However, my opinion does not mean defeat.

The opinions I expressed about Brazil were influenced by my many trips to Brazil, where I have spent much time.

During my trips there, I have never seen Brazil with so many problems for the locals as there are now. When the locals have problems, such as Brazil's severe unemployment and out-of-control inflation and an increase in crime, those problems spill over to affect Brazil's visitors (us tourists).

Census data shows the median age in Brazil during 2014 was 30.7 - This means that half of the population of Brazil is between 30 and 31 years old.

It does not take a genius to understand the impact on Brazil’s standards, values and its economy while its most viable youthful workers cannot find work.

I think there will be a few "rough" years ahead for Brazil. Those rough years will continue to affect visitors to Brazil.

I agree with your other comment that there will (likely) always be places where Americans and Europeans can go to have a good time.

In the meantime, I do not plan to give up on Brazil. My next trip is coming up in a little over a week.

• Members

Census data shows the median age in Brazil during 2014 was 30.7 - This means that half of the population of Brazil is between 30 and 31 years old.

No, that's not what a median means at all.

I understand the point you're trying to make, though.

Guest tomcal

LOL if that was right, all Brazilians were breeding like mice in 1983!! It means 1/2 the population is under 30.7 years old and 1/2 are older.

• Members

No, that's not what a median means at all.

I understand the point you're trying to make, though.

Please understand that my comment was not intended to define mean or median, in general. Rather, I intended to show how such concept is used in assessing age distributions.

LOL if that was right, all Brazilians were breeding like mice in 1983!! It means 1/2 the population is under 30.7 years old and 1/2 are older.

Funny!

Guest lurkerspeaks

correct me if I am wrong, but I believe current rate at 117 is R$100 +/-. while at Meio Mundo it is more like R$80 +/-

Guest tomcal

I think the amount might vary at the most $20.R between customers, for what it's worth, I don't negotiate and don't tip and I pay $100.R in Rio and have never had any guy in those saunas say no.