mvan1

At last - Brazil is doing something that MIGHT help its economy

• Members

Yesterday, it was announced that Brazil MIGHT waive its visa requirement for visitors to Brazil who will be attending the Olympic events in 2016.

Many from this forum are aware that Brazil charges Americans $160.00 for a visa to visit Brazil.

Depending on the mood of the person processing the visas, visitors are assigned Brazil visas that are USUALLY valid for multiple entries and for ten years. However, there are reported cases where visa applicants pay the same $160.00 for a single entry visa and/or less time valid. The Brazilian Consulate web pages discuss this issue and clearly state that there are NO APPEALS to the type of visa issued.

To most, $160.00 is not a big deal. However, if a family decided to visit Brazil for the Olympics, say a couple and two children, they are facing $640.00 for visas that give nothing in return for the $640.00 except the right to enter Brazil.

The hypothetical $640.00 plus expensive hotels, restaurants and other high priced admission costs (except sauna bois who remain cheap), the visa cost could be a deciding factor in whether a family attends the Olympics or does not attend. If the family does not attend, that is a direct loss of tourist dollars for Brazil.

It makes perfect sense for Brazil to waive the visa requirement for those attending the 2016 Olympics.

Those who decide to forgo a trip to Brazil because of the expensive visa will put a further dent on the already struggling economy of Brazil.

We will have to wait a while longer before we know if the visa waiver will be approved.

In the below article, it is stated that Thailand has four times as many tourist visitors than Brazil has. That says a lot and implies a lot.

“Brazil, with its cultural diversity, gastronomy and events can no longer just receive six million tourists per year. Thailand with its six million inhabitants received last year 24 million visitors,” said Alves. -

Here is an article about the visa waiver discussion:

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-sports/brazil-may-waive-visa-requirement-during-olympics/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRioTimes+%28The+Rio+Times%29

-

My story....I got a 90 day Visa for Brazil thru the San Francisco consulate. Very true, they will not even discuss the length. Take it or leave it. At the Miami consulate, I got a 5 year.

I now go to Bangkok. Been 3 times this year and have 2 more plane tickets. No visa for 30 days. Airfare cheaper than Brazil. Very safe place to be. Downside, long trip.

• Members

Yesterday, it was announced that Brazil MIGHT waive its visa requirement for visitors to Brazil who will be attending the Olympic events in 2016.

Many from this forum are aware that Brazil charges Americans $160.00 for a visa to visit Brazil.

For the 2014 World Cup, Brazil did NOT waive visa requirements.

Instead they created more bureaucracy, introducing a new type of visa, a "temporary special" World Cup Visa, that was non-renewable, and valid for up to 90 days, and had various event-specific requirements, like demonstrating proof of WC ticket purchases, but totally free of charge.

• Members

I have my permanent visa now so I hope no further worries.

But last spring while in Chicago, I did need a new tourist visa. The Chicago consulate was absolutely packed with Americans getting the free World Cup visas. If memory serves, all that was needed was a receipt for ticket requests for WC games and for lodging, receipt request, not even for monies paid, to get the free visa.

It would make it much easier if Brasil switched to the Chilean system where a visa is purchased and paid for on arrival in country.