AdamSmith

Better than GPS: a history of cartography in 12 amazing maps

• Members

Cooler than cool. ^_^

I have not used maps in well over 40 years but I still use charts. It is only very recently that the FAA has allowed a cockpit to be chartless and to do so requires at least two sources of aeronautical navigation material. I may become chartless one day but, in the meantime, it comforts the owner of the plane to have charts on board as a back up to our GPS.

Older pilots are very wont to say that young pilots couldn't find their way home from the back yard without a GPS. Like most such musings, there is some truth there but I would be unhappy to not have my GPS.

However, regardless of such navigation aids, once you have been "everywhere" it is very helpful when you go back to remember what it looks like. One gender among us generally has more problems with 3-D visualization than the other. Some years back that led the FAA to mandate colorized approach plates. Charts are the "big" picture and plates are the local picture.

Best regards,

RA1