TotallyOz

Indiana's New Anti Gay Law

The new law passed in Indiana may be a preview of the 2016 election. Nothing gets conservatives riled up more than someone "oppressing their religious freedom" to oppress.

Apple's Cook tweeted some interesting tweets as he and the owners of Yelp are starting to show their disappointment with the law. Even the NCAA is considering changes.

As all of this happens, it really makes me wonder how many gains have we actually made? Yes, we now have the right to marry in many states. But, when laws like this are created, it makes me wonder what is to come.

• Members

I am pretty conservative but I try to not proselytize. If you don't start a jihad against me, I will definitely reciprocate.

Best regards,

RA1

Actually I see these reactionary spasms as affirmation that progress is being made and in fact is becoming irreversible.

Last gasps of dying empire always tend to be violent like this. In my own career I have profited handsomely on many occasions when dying segments of information technology markets furiously buy consulting services as part of their desperate last-ditch efforts to forestall what has become evident is their inevitable demise.

Yes, irreversible = pretty unlikely within the mortal span of immediate concern to me. :smile:

Of course the grand sweep of history goes back and forth. E.g., as Weimar homophilia was followed by Nazi repression of same into the weird homoeroticism of Nazism's Aryan ideals of beauty, Hitler Youth etc etc, at the same time as the pink triangle.

Guest CharliePS

One segment of society's idea of utopia is always another segment's idea of hell, so no stasis is ever achieved for long. We happen to be living in an era which is swinging with considerable weight toward our viewpoint, but there is bound to be resistance, and at some point--hopefully not in my lifetime--the course will slow and probably reverse. Ironically, MLK's "arc of history" theory gives hope to both sides.

• Members

Per CNN Indiana is the 20th state to enact a "Religious Freedom Act" that is based on a 1993 Federal Religious Freedom Act signed into law by President Clinton. Some of the states with same or similar laws include Connecticut, Rhode Island, Texas, Pennsylvania, Idaho, Virginia, Florida, New Mexico, Kentucky, Etc...

Here in Kentucky the Democrat Governor vetoed the Religious Freedom bill a few years ago but the veto was over-ridden, including by the Democrat House of the Legislature. The Kentucky Law came about because we have several Amish Communities. They were having trouble with state traffic laws being applied to their Horse and Buggies being used on state roads, including the reflective safety triangles that tractors must also have on the rear of the tractor. And the Amish were refusing to pay the traffic fines resulting in some being placed in jail. They also have several small farming, furniture, and vegetable stand businesses. The law doesn't just protect them but any religion.

Even though we also had the argument about this law being a Gay issue here. To my knowledge we have had no such problems from the law as it relates to the Gay Community. The Catholics still sell Fish to Gays at the Parish Fish Fry, welcome their money at the Catholic picnics and Hobby Lobby still sells things to the Drag Queens I know here in town to make their costumes and outfits.

So why NOW is there such a Brouhaha about Indiana when 19 other states, including some Democratic leaning states, have the same or similar laws? Is it because Indiana Governor Pence may run for President?

Guest callipygian

The Kentucky Law came about because we have several Amish Communities. They were having trouble with state traffic laws being applied to their Horse and Buggies being used on state roads, including the reflective safety triangles that tractors must also have on the rear of the tractor. And the Amish were refusing to pay the traffic fines resulting in some being placed in jail. They also have several small farming, furniture, and vegetable stand businesses. The law doesn't just protect them but any religion.

Even though we also had the argument about this law being a Gay issue here. To my knowledge we have had no such problems from the law as it relates to the Gay Community. The Catholics still sell Fish to Gays at the Parish Fish Fry, welcome their money at the Catholic picnics and Hobby Lobby still sells things to the Drag Queens I know here in town to make their costumes and outfits.

So why NOW is there such a Brouhaha about Indiana when 19 other states, including some Democratic leaning states, have the same or similar laws? Is it because Indiana Governor Pence may run for President?

BECAUSE BEING GAY AND EXPECTING TO BE SERVED AT (PERHAPS) AN IHOP OWNED BY, SAY, A RIGHT-WING HATER CLOAKED IN SOME RELIGIOUS PROTECTION AT 3AM - WITH YOUR BOYFRIEND, OR WHOMEVER - IS NOT THE SAME THING AS PUTTING PEOPLE AT JEOPARDY BECAUSE YOU'RE DRIVING IN A DARK AND NON- ILLUMINATED (horse drawn buggy) VEHICLE ON PUBLIC ROADWAYS PUTTING PEOPLE AT THE RISK OF DEATH.

Sorry about the caps, I was writing so quickly I didn't realize them - and I don't have the desire to change them now over something that should be so remedial to the the progress which this nation has made for most people.

Indiana will soon become - the model for what not to become as a state. And I thought Arizona was fucked up.

• Members

Well Arizona also has a Religious Freedom Act, so you will be happy to know that you can still keep them on your most F**ked up state list. They had theirs well before Indiana.

I don't say I agree or disagree with Indiana or the other states but, you will not find the Words "Sexual Orientation" in Indiana's law. So I still don't understand why not the out cry with the other states and calls for Boycotts that Indiana is receiving? What makes Indiana stand out in the crowd?

Guest callipygian

I don't say I agree or disagree with Indiana or the other states but, you will not find the Words "Sexual Orientation" in Indiana's law. So I still don't understand why not the out cry with the other states and calls for Boycotts that Indiana is receiving? What makes Indiana stand out in the crowd?

The most dangerous words you will ever hear in your lifetime will always be........

Up to your own interpretation and rightful action.

I don't typically cite The Advocate for life-references (pink pages excluded-years ago - but I digress) but here's a reason too.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2015/03/29/after-indiana-23-more-states-could-pass-discrimination-bills

Guest callipygian

Please excuse this less than perfect video. It get's better after the first minute.

Haven't we ALL come too far - to allow this type of legislation to continue?

• Members

The Indiana Governor is just another spin doctor, along with Walker who has stumbled badly in the last few weeks. I am continually baffled by a GOP that continues to exclude instead of being more inclusive and broadening the Republican tent.

"No hate in our state"

iFWDuRVSXHKM.jpg

Indiana governor: New law 'not about discrimination'
image001-png_162613.png
1 hour ago

Raw: Hundreds Rally Against Indiana Law
t.gif

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indiana Gov. Mike Pence defended the new state law that's garnered widespread criticism over concerns it could foster discrimination and said Sunday it wasn't a mistake to have enacted it.

Pence appeared on ABC's "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" to discuss the measure he signed last week prohibiting state laws that "substantially burden" a person's ability to follow his or her religious beliefs. The definition of "person" includes religious institutions, businesses and associations.

Since the Republican governor signed the bill into law Thursday, Indiana has been widely criticized by businesses and organizations around the nation, as well as on social media with the hashtag #boycottindiana. Already, consumer review service Angie's List has said it will suspend a planned expansion in Indianapolis because of the new law.

Pence did not answer directly when asked at least six times whether under the law it would be legal for a merchant to refuse to serve gay customers. "This is not about discrimination, this is about empowering people to confront government overreach," he said. Asked again, he said, "Look, the issue here is still is tolerance a two-way street or not."

Pence told the Indianapolis Star on Saturday that he was in discussions with legislative leaders over the weekend and expects a clarification bill to be introduced in the coming week. He addressed that Sunday, saying, "if the General Assembly ... sends me a bill that adds a section that reiterates and amplifies and clarifies what the law really is and what it has been for the last 20 years, then I'm open to that."

But Pence was adamant that the measure, slated to take effect in July, will stick. "We're not going to change this law," he said.

Thousands of opponents of Indiana Senate Bill 101, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, gathered o …

Sexual orientation is not covered under Indiana's civil rights law. Pence has said he "won't be pursuing that."

Some national gay-rights groups say it's a way for lawmakers in Indiana and several others states where such bills have been proposed this year to essentially grant a state-sanctioned waiver for discrimination as the nation's highest court prepares to mull the gay marriage question.

Supporters of the law, including Pence, contend discrimination claims are overblown and insist it will keep the government from compelling people to provide services they find objectionable on religious grounds. They also maintain courts haven't allowed discrimination under similar laws covering the federal government and 19 other states. Arkansas is poised to follow in Indiana's footsteps, with a final vote expected next week in the House on legislation that Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson has said he'll sign.

Josh Earnest, President Barack Obama's spokesman, appeared on "This Week" just after Pence, and said the debate isn't a political argument.

"If you have to go back two decades to try to justify what you're doing today, it may raise questions," Earnest said, referring to the 1993 federal law Pence brought up. He added that Pence "is in damage-control mode this morning and he's got some damage to fix."

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence holds a news conference at the Statehouse in Indianapolis, Thursday, March 2 …

State Rep. Ed DeLaney, an Indianapolis Democrat, told a large, boisterous crowd Saturday gathered outside of the Statehouse to protest that the law creates "a road map, a path to discrimination." Rally attendees chanted "Pence must go!" several times and held signs that read "No hate in our state."

Pence addressed the critics Sunday, saying: "This avalanche of intolerance that's been poured on our state is just outrageous." Asked if he would be willing to add sexual orientation to the list of characteristics against which discrimination is illegal, he said, "I will not push for that. That's not on my agenda, and that's not been an objective of the people of the state of Indiana."

U.S. Sen. Joe Donnelly, a Democrat, released a video statement on his Facebook page Saturday, saying: "We'll work together to reverse SB101 and we'll stand together to make sure that here in Indiana, we welcome everyone, every day."

Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard, a Republican who opposed the law, has said he and other city officials will talk with businesses and convention planners to counter the uproar.

Angie's List had sought an $18.5 million incentive package from Indianapolis' City-County Council to add 1,000 jobs over five years. But founder and CEO Bill Oseterle said in a statement Saturday that the expansion was on hold "until we fully understand the implications of the freedom restoration act on our employees."

The Indianapolis-based NCAA has expressed concerns about the law and has suggested it could move future events elsewhere; the men's Final Four will be held in the city next weekend.

___

Associated Press writers Tom Davies and Rick Callahan contributed to this report.

• Members

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/indiana-defines-stupidity-as-religion?intcid=mod-most-popular

borowitz.png

March 26, 2015

Indiana Defines Stupidity as Religion

Borowitz-Indiana-Defines-Stupidity-as-Re Credit Photograph by Chip Somodevilla/Getty

INDIANAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report)—In a history-making decision, Gov. Mike Pence of Indiana has signed into law a bill that officially recognizes stupidity as a religion.

Pence said that he hoped the law would protect millions of state residents “who, like me, have been practicing this religion passionately for years.”

The bill would grant politicians like Pence the right to observe their faith freely, even if their practice of stupidity costs the state billions of dollars.

While Pence’s action drew the praise of stupid people across America, former Arizona Governor Jan Brewer was not among them. “Even I wasn’t dumb enough to sign a bill like that,” she said.

• email.png
  • printer.png

Guest zipperzone

I already have MY list in development.

i-regret-being-nice-life-quotes-sayings-

You have nothing to regret Sucky

First of all you have never been nice.

I've never heard of an apology coming from you.

And as for having your "list in development" - it's sad you have nothing better

to do but make lists that no one gives a rat's ass about.

• Members

You have nothing to regret Sucky

First of all you have never been nice.

I've never heard of an apology coming from you.

And as for having your "list in development" - it's sad you have nothing better

to do but make lists that no one gives a rat's ass about.

Apparently YOU do, but you are just too Stupid to realize it, even when "the proof is in your own Post"..... Boy do you look RIDICULOUS, again !.... :rofl: ... Now please dont forget to post how many of your imaginary friends here emailed you their support. :hyper:

And remember, the next time you decide to come for me, make sure you are wearing your dunce cap, so you are appropriately dressed when I put you in the corner. :poke:

Guest zipperzone

Apparently YOU do, but you are just too Stupid to realize it, even when "the proof is in your own Post"..... Boy do you look RIDICULOUS, again !.... :rofl: ... Now please dont forget to post how many of your imaginary friends here emailed you their support. :hyper:

And remember, the next time you decide to come for me, make sure you are wearing your dunce cap, so you are appropriately dressed when I put you in the corner. :poke:

Sucky, Sucky, Sucky - you never fail to disappoint.

When ever I get bored its a comfort to know that I can piss you off so easily.

As for me coming to you....... perhaps when pigs can fly

And of course i''m stupid in your estimation - isn't every one?

Oh, one more thing - thanks for not posting anymore pictures of underage boys. I guess there is hope for you yet.

• Members

Sucky, Sucky, Sucky - you never fail to disappoint.

When ever I get bored its a comfort to know that I can piss you off so easily.

As for me coming to you....... perhaps when pigs can fly

And of course i''m stupid in your estimation - isn't every one?

Oh, one more thing - thanks for not posting anymore pictures of underage boys. I guess there is hope for you yet.

Child, you are just a Ridiculous fool. You are on a short list of stupid around here. You never piss me off because I feel sorry for you, as I do for all people that have mental illness.

And sorry fucker, I've NEVER been cited for posting inappropriate pics, except by YOU, and we've already established that you Dont matter... Perhaps you are the PERVERT here since its always on Your mind.....?

giphy.gif