mvan1

Street flooding in Sao Paulo - 3-20-15

• Members

My plans to spend the weekend in Porto Alegre last Friday afternoon got disrupted due to heavy rains and flooded streets in Sao Paulo, where I had been staying for about two weeks.

No taxi or bus could make its way to the local airport, without extreme delays, through the heavy floods that were in different parts of the city.

The local airport in Sao Paulo (Congonhas) was operational but countless numbers of passengers were not able to get to the airport to make flights because of flooded streets. For those passengers who could make it to the airport, the flights left with them. For those who could not make it in time at the airport, the flights left without them.

Although I left in time that should have allowed me to be at the airport about two hours before departure, I spent nearly two hours in a cab while the driver waited for the water and traffic to clear.

Exiting the cab with luggage was not an option because of the heavy water in the street. By the time I got to the airport, the plane had departed.

The next few flights to Porto Alegre were totally booked by other passengers who finally got to the airport but had missed their initial flight because of the flooding.

The water in the streets was so bad that it actually made the local newspapers.

Check out this web address for photos of flooded streets. Notice how high the water accumulated.

http://floodlist.com/america/heavy-rain-floods-sao-paulo-drought-persists

Needless to say, I was disappointed in not visiting Porto Alegre again. Porto Alegre is not a good tourist city but it does have two great saunas.

There is always next trip.

By the way, the rains also adversely influenced the saunas in Sao Paulo. Friday night (usually a busy night at Lagoa) was a dud. On Sunday night, a night that is usually busy at Fragata, was another dud.

Despite the claimed water drought in Sao Paulo, there has been a lot of heavy rain during the past couple of weeks.

In situations described above (can't get to Porto Alegre - saunas are nearly empty), it is nice to have an alternative in the event the weather puts a damper on plans. Among other things, alternatives include having phone numbers of favorite garotos and/or addresses for fun places.

Unquestionably, having an alternative “A list” makes being in Brazil fun despite temporary and unforeseen obstacles.

• Members

Oh no , sorry to hear that... -(

I am going there in two weeks then to Porto like you, now that worries me hope the weather will cooperate....

By the time you arrive in two weeks, the heavy rains should be gone (hopefully).

In addition to last Friday's street flooding, look what happened in February in Sao Paulo where there was worse flooding plus one death from the heavy rain -

http://floodlist.com/america/1-hour-rain-floods-sao-paulo-brazil

It is my experience that middle April in Southern Brazil (Rio, Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre etc) is fairly rain free although it does rain a little.

• Members

Is this time of year generally a rainy one for brazil. When is it dryest (besides the summer months down there of course)?

It can rain at any time but the probability is less during middle April through middle December -