AdamSmith

Red Skelton interview

• Members

About half way through I realized that he had not used one four letter word, or said anything inappropriate, then the last 30 seconds he explains regarding new comedians, attempting to get a laugh:

"So they take shortcuts they'll use off color material, use four letter words, or insult somebody in the audience. My show I don't have any of these things in it, I don't think anyone should have to pay money at a box office or invite into their homes any jokes or any words that they can read on public walls"

A thoroughly interesting and enjoyable interview.

• Members

I never watched him on TV. The interview revealed a profound and well rounded man.

As I compare and contrast a man like that to the majority of us today with our faces buried looking at our phones I wonder when we will all lose the ability to interact with one another in person.

What a daily schedule he outlined. Sounds like he only slept 3 1/2 hours a night. I hope he took naps.

...Skelton preferred to be described as a clown rather than a comic: "A comedian goes out and hits people right on. A clown uses pathos. He can be funny, then turn right around and reach people and touch them with what life is like." "I just want to be known as a clown," he said, "because to me that's the height of my profession. It means you can do everything—sing, dance and above all, make people laugh." His purpose in life, he believed, was to make people laugh.

In Groucho and Me, Groucho Marx called Skelton "the most unacclaimed clown in show business", and "the logical successor to [Charlie] Chaplin", largely because of his ability to play a multitude of characters with minimal use of dialogue and props. "With one prop, a soft battered hat," Groucho wrote, describing a performance he had witnessed, "he successfully converted himself into an idiot boy, a peevish old lady, a teetering-tottering drunk, an overstuffed clubwoman, a tramp, and any other character that seemed to suit his fancy. No grotesque make-up, no funny clothes, just Red." He added that Skelton also "plays a dramatic scene about as effectively as any of the dramatic actors." In late 1965 ventriloquist Edgar Bergen, reminiscing about the entertainment business, singled out Skelton for high praise. "It's all so very different today. The whole business of comedy has changed — from 15 minutes of quality to quantity. We had a lot of very funny people around, from Charley Chase to Charlie Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy. The last one of that breed is Red Skelton." Harry Cohn of Columbia Pictures also praised Skelton, saying, "He's a clown in the old tradition. He doesn't need punch lines. He's got heart."

Skelton and Marcel Marceau shared a long friendship and admiration of each other's work. Marceau appeared on Skelton's CBS television show three times, including one turn as the host in 1961 as Skelton recovered from surgery. He was also a guest on the three Funny Faces specials that Skelton produced for HBO. In a TV Guide interview after Skelton's death, Marceau said, "Red, you are eternal for me and the millions of people you made laugh and cry. May God bless you forever, my great and precious companion. I will never forget that silent world we created together." CBS issued the following statement upon his death: "Red's audience had no age limits. He was the consummate family entertainer—a winsome clown, a storyteller without peer, a superb mime, a singer and a dancer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Skelton

• Members

Who can forget Gertrude and Heathcliff + Clem Kiddlehopper? And, so many others. These strictly from memory and no research.

Not to hijack, but you have made me start thinking about other oldies buy goodies and one of my other favorites, Sid Caesar (and company). Absolute masters of impromptu.

Best regards,

RA1