MsAnn

To honor dear George today.....

Barrel Pillory, or Spanish Mantle

200x260xbarrel03.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rLG7dr

A barrel is fitted over the entire body, with the head sticking out from a hole in the top. The person is kept locked in the barrel, forcing him to kneel in his own filth, and in some cases suffer extremes of hot or cold.

For a short time this was merely unpleasant, but prolonged confinement could cause death through hunger or thirst, or scaphism - allowing or encouraging insects to breed on and feed on the victim's flesh.

The defenceless individual's faeces accumulated within the container, attracting ever more insects, which would eat and breed within his or her exposed and often gangrenous flesh.

Feeding the victim would often be allowed each day in some cases to prolong the torture, so that dehydration or starvation did not provide him or her with the release of death.

Delirium would typically set in after a few days.

Death, when it eventually occurred, was probably due to a combination of dehydration, starvation and septic shock.

300x470xbarrel02.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4nbAXy

http://www.medievalwarfare.info/torture.htm

AN00129816_001_l.jpg

The death of Regulus; the general placed in a nail-studded barrel in foreground, about to be rolled down a hill by two henchmen; behind the barrel a commander on horseback; roundel with acanthus leaves placed in corners outside the frame

Hans Sebald Beham (1500-1550)

German Northern Renaissance Engraver, brother of Barthel Beham.

• Members

The figure in the barrel pillory bears a striking resemblance to the late Michael Jackson. (RIP) At least he did not go through this torture to expire. OTOH, his demise was mostly self inflicted (as are many, more or less).

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I was advised many years ago to never address my friends named John or Jack when about to board an airliner. But, in the case of threads, hijack IS the NAME of the game. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

I was advised many years ago to never address my friends named John or Jack when about to board an airliner. But, in the case of threads, hijack IS the NAME of the game. :smile:

So in mechanical engineering there is a thing called the Bill Of Material, or BOM.

The software for creating a BOM can display it like the 'outline' view of a Word document, so you can collapse the sub-levels and just have the main levels shown. Or you can pop open the sub-levels to show all the detail. In the lingo, this action is, of course, to...

explode the BOM.

Not exactly the thing to exclaim out loud into your cell phone, when hunched over your laptop, on a tech support call,

in an airport departure lounge,

two weeks after 9/11/01.

As an engineer friend of mine found out the hard way.