mvan1

Cuba - the law just might make tourism possible

• Members

CUBA - maybe later this year Americans will be able to legally visit Cuba for tourism.

As it stands today, it is prohibited for Americans to travel to Cuba solely for tourism.

Currently, if traveling to Cuba on a "People to People" arrangement, any visit to Cuba by Americans is strictly monitored which takes away from the enjoyment and freedom of simple tourism. Presently, travelers on a People to People program are prohibited from visiting beaches and private tourism unless the entire group is present during any activity. This restriction spoils the possibility of enjoying the "real" sites of Cuba.

Personally, I would not want to be stuck in a group of strangers with different interests all being required to do and see the same thing.

Today, Bloomberg, published an interesting article disclosing that two U.S. senators introduced a bill to have restrictions removed for Americans who wish to travel to Cuba. Let us hope that the bill is passed and Congress will approve removing the current restrictions.

Here is the article:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-02-04/lift-the-cuba-travel-ban?alcmpid=view

Guest callipygian

meaningful progress will require new people engaging new visions and possibilities and slowly cutting away the failed testicles tentacles of the past.

Marco Polo Rubio will clearly end up on the wrong side of history here.

• Members

meaningful progress will require new people engaging new visions and possibilities and slowly cutting away the failed testicles tentacles of the past.

Marco Polo Rubio will clearly end up on the wrong side of history here.

I agree. Rubio is one of the bigots that wants to keep Cuba as it currently is.

Considering that Democrat Patrick Leahy of Vermont is one of the sponsors of the bill, there is a good chance the bill will be passed.

Patrick Leahy is highly regarded in the Senate and has sponsored many controversial bills in the past (over many years) and most of those bills Congress passed. Leahy is a true advocate of the people.

I would not be surprised to see the bill passing this year.

Even though the embargo has lasted more than fifty years (for Americans), tourism from other countries (Europe, Canada etc) have not "ruined" Cuba as many people predict will happen when the embargo is lifted.

We can only wait and see.

• Members

It is difficult to ruin a dictatorship until and unless it is over. Obviously, it isn't over in Cuba. I was a boy when Fidel took over. I have now thought for many years that the Castros would have to be history for Cuba to advance. That more or less still seems to be the case. Even with the US caving they have not agreed to anything.

I would very much like to visit Cuba. I have a lot of respect for their history, culture and baseball players. I have little to no respect for their politics. (Ours either.)

I think we just have to wait for the politicos on all sides to grind themselves into semi-oblivion and go from there.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I'm off to Habana, Cuba next Saturday the 28th of February 2015, on my People-to-People program. Although I'll be involved in most of the prescribed itinerary, I will have time to venture out on my own and to do what I desire. The only caveat is that I can't play the tourist role and go to beaches or purchase the usual "touristy items," etc.

On my first trip sometime in the 90s, the small group of us did go to the beach for a day and was free to roam and play during our time there. We were free after 2 or 3 P.M. each day as well. Too bad that I did not take advantage of this: I was at a very "different place" when it came to scouting out in foreign lands. This is much more different today!

PS On the night of my arrival, I will have a gay guide showing me the "gay side" of Habana, Cuba. Google him and proceed if interested in his services. Once I return I plan to write at this site!

[i, too, will be elated once the travel ban has been completely lifted!]