Guest Hunkster

ATM Cards

Guest Hunkster

What is the best (cheapest, lowest fees) ATM card to use to withdraw cash from an account (to which I've deposited money in the US) from that bank's ATM in Brasil?

Guest tomcal

To my knowledge, the only American bank with ATMs in Brazil is Citibank, which have locations in Copacabana and Ipanema and Porto Alegre...unfortunately they don't have any at the Airports. I have my mortgage with them so they do not charge foreign transaction fees or a fee for withdrawals from ATM's I have them raise my daily limit so that I would be "short on cash" on busy nights!!

You can withdraw from Brandesco banks but are limited too $600.R a day. and you get charged a fee. My advise is dont use the HCBS atm's, there have been constant problems with their atm's being hacked and it's happened to me twice using theirs when i didnt have time to get to Citibank, and both times I got a call saying someone was using my card! they are definitely not secure!

Guest Hunkster

Thanks Tom.

I'm sort of stuck with HSBC.....they charge 3% on withdrawals.....as per the "hack" ....guess I will go inside the bank to get cash during business hours.

• Members

Banco Bradesco = No transaction fee - 800Reais limit/day Connected to Plus (not sure about Cirrus) networks

Banco do Brasil = No transaction fee - 1000Reais limit/day Connected to both Plus and Cirrus networks

24 Horas machines = Transaction fee

Citibank machines = Transaction fee

When arriving in Terminal 2 at Galeao, both Banco Brasil and Brasdesco have agencies as well as 24hour ATM's one floor up on Mezzanine

Not sure what happened but I used to be able to use HSBC ATM's for transactions but a couple of years back that stopped. I have the feeling of better security inside the Banco do Brasil branches in any event.

Guest riosul77

To access my foreign accounts I use my debit card at Bradesco or Banco Brasil in that order depending on which more convenient.

In 14 years my foreign debit card has been skimmed twice. The first time at those atms at Galeau airport (the HSBC one I think), and this has been reported numerous times in many traveller forums so do take care at the airport atm's.

The second skim, the bandito did not use the cloned? card until 3 months later so do watch your accounts diligently.

HSBC in Brazil started limiting atm withdrawals to 300 reals per day about year and half ago , this has nothing to do with whatever limit you may have with your home bank.

(and, btw, I think the second skim may have happened at a HSBC).