mvan1

Rio de Janeiro aircraft incident - AA

• Members

Check out this link:

http://avherald.com/h?article=47f968b7

The article at the link says that the pilots were not aware that all four tires had blown out on landing. The pilots continued to the gate as usual.

In the above link there is a video that one of the ground workers made of the aircraft smoking its way to the gate. It is difficult to understand how or why the pilots were unaware of a problem given all the smoke generated from the blown tires and the burning rubber.

Could it be the pilots were in a hurry to get to 117 or Meio Mundo and did not want to be delayed upon arrival? Just kidding.

The article also said that the bare wheels caused some damage to the ground but no one was hurt.

The continuing flight to New York was cancelled and the aircraft is still in Rio since yesterday.

Wow. I understand the need to get there fast this time of year. Once during high season, it was important for me to get to 117 on free room day as I would take the room and just keep it all day till I left and pay the extra charges. If I didn't, we never got a room or had to wait like forever (1 hour in sauna boy wanna fuck time). So, I'll forgive the pilots if they were in a rush!

• Members

Check out this link:

http://avherald.com/h?article=47f968b7

The article at the link says that the pilots were not aware that all four tires had blown out on landing. The pilots continued to the gate as usual.

In the above link there is a video that one of the ground workers made of the aircraft smoking its way to the gate. It is difficult to understand how or why the pilots were unaware of a problem given all the smoke generated from the blown tires and the burning rubber.

Could it be the pilots were in a hurry to get to 117 or Meio Mundo and did not want to be delayed upon arrival? Just kidding.

The article also said that the bare wheels caused some damage to the ground but no one was hurt.

The continuing flight to New York was cancelled and the aircraft is still in Rio since yesterday.

Here is a link to some photos that were taken of the aircraft after it was towed to a hanger in Rio.

http://forum.contatoradar.com.br/index.php/topic/113527-767-da-american-estoura-4-pneus-durante-pouso-no-galeao/

Notice the close-up photos of the severe damage to the main landing gear and tire rims. It is a wonder there was no fire after the landing that caused all right gear tires to disintegrate.

It is reported that the pilots continue to maintain that they did not notice any problem after the tires blew out.

The aircraft is still in Rio - Estimates to repair the damage - close to one million, according to estimates given by Boeing -

-

• Members

The poor condition of the runway and taxi-ways at this "foreign" airport? Sounds like something an "ugly American" might say or think up. The passengers might be more aware of this than the cockpit crew. Long night flight and I know they were eager to get to the gate and off the airplane. Not that I think there is ANY good reason but perhaps more than one excuse. The crew of the crashed Concorde didn't know they were on fire and had substantial damage for a relatively long time until the tower mentioned it.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

snip

The crew of the crashed Concorde didn't know they were on fire and had substantial damage for a relatively long time until the tower mentioned it.

Best regards,

RA1

Interesting that you mentioned the Concorde. Not many people remember that it once landed in Rio de Janeiro.

If anyone is interested in seeing the approach and landing of the Concorde at Rio, check out the below link. The report is in French but the photos speak for themselves, therefore, the narrative is not necessary to understand the arrival in Rio. Notice, also, in the background on the arrival of the Concorde, several Brazilian air carriers that no longer exist, VASP being just once such carrier.

-

• Members

The Concorde also made an appearance in MEM when BN (Braniff) was trying to do an "interchange" flight that would have the Concorde go from Dallas, TX subsonic to IAD and then go supersonic to Europe. Even with "free" fuel this would not have been feasible but then when did that keep the airlines from exploiting PR? Scratched soon after proposed.

Still, it was fun to see it land in MEM. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

The aircraft is still in Rio - Estimates to repair the damage - close to one million, according to Boeing -

-

RA1: The passengers might be more aware of this than the cockpit crew.

If the passengers saw all that smoke boiling up from the front of the plane, Boeing probably had to replace a lot of seat cushions and steam clean the covers.

• Members

If the passengers saw all that smoke boiling up from the front of the plane, Boeing probably had to replace a lot of seat cushions and steam clean the covers.

Even if the passengers saw the smoke and debris from looking out the windows, it does not mean that the smoke or objects got into the aircraft. The doors of the aircraft were not open while the aircraft taxied to the gate. Therefore, there should be no damage to the interior of the plane.

Boeing made an ESTIMATE to repair or replace damage to the landing gear, tires, rim and other parts that were damaged because of the incident. It is doubtful that Boeing personnel would do the repair work. The work would most likely be done in Rio by local repair people.

-

Guest truthteller2

"Even if the passengers saw the smoke and debris from looking out the windows, it does not mean that the smoke or objects got into the aircraft. The doors of the aircraft were not open while the aircraft taxied to the gate. Therefore, there should be no damage to the interior of the plane."

lmao, dude don't take things so literally!!

ob·tuse

əbˈt(y)o͞os,äbˈt(y)o͞os/

adjective

adjective: obtuse

1. 1.

annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.

"he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"

In case you still dont get it. he was referring to passengers shitting in their pants when they saw smoke out the windows of the plane

• Members
"Even if the passengers saw the smoke and debris from looking out the windows, it does not mean that the smoke or objects got into the aircraft. The doors of the aircraft were not open while the aircraft taxied to the gate. Therefore, there should be no damage to the interior of the plane."
lmao, dude don't take things so literally!!
ob·tuse
əbˈt(y)o͞os,äbˈt(y)o͞os/
adjective
adjective: obtuse
  1. 1.
    annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.
    "he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"
    In case you still dont get it. he was referring to passengers shitting in their pants when they saw smoke out the windows of the plane

Thanks for the clarification.

We all have our personal ideas relative to what is or is not humor.

Now that you posted your interpretation, and perhaps the intention of the author of the post in question, I can see what may have been intended.

I did not initially see the “humor” because I, like many who post to this board, travel on airplanes a lot. In my case, I travel between 150 -200 thousand miles each year. Therefore when an incident like this occurs, I don’t think it is a laughing matter nor do I think it is funny.

Fortunately, the incident resulted only with damage to an aircraft. The result could have been catastrophic had a fire erupted and it could have.

Guest tomcal

For those that have been to Rio and have waited for their flight, this link should bring back some fond memories. It is the voice of the lady whose voice is used for flights departing Rio. Her name is Iris Lettieri -

http://www.irislettieri.com.br/

How did you find this? It did bring back memories, I heard that voice so many times! lol thanks!

• Members

How did you find this? It did bring back memories, I heard that voice so many times! lol thanks!

I found it in the Brazil forum on Flyertalk.com

If you click on the pull down menu that opens at the link for Iris, you will learn a little about her and how she got the job announcing flights in Rio.

Flyertalk.com site contains a lot of information about all travel and lodging even though the name of the site would make you think it deals only with flying.

There is helpful data for just about anywhere people travel. Anywhere you think you might want to travel, just go to that site and do a search for any destination or any subject.

You will find more information than you expected, including the link to the Rio de Janeiro - Iris, the airport flight announcer.

• Members

To clarify my remarks: The cockpit is a long way from various components on various aircraft and the pilots may not hear and certainly not see some serious things the moment they happen. Therefore passengers sitting over the wing may be more in tune with a flat tire while taxiing than the cockpit crew is. Ditto a fire or smoke from an under wing or tail mounted engine. The cabin crew and the passengers are invaluable in noticing and alerting some of these things. Cargo carriers such as FEDEX and UPS have many sensors in the cabin and elsewhere to alert the pilots of smoke, etc. The boxes will not volunteer any information, helpful or otherwise.

Humor in aviation tends towards gallows humor. I have always thought this was because it was SO dangerous in its early days. Still can be, just like many aspects of modern life. I take all accidents and incidents seriously. They all have a lesson to provide. OTOH, like most pilots, I deflect things with humor to do my best to maintain sanity.

Best regards,

RA1