TotallyOz

Obama issues Executive Orders on Immigration

I watched the address in full, not live as I am overseas, but I really like the address. Something needs to be done and I think this is a great start and will at least get the conversation rolling.

I hope Obama issues other orders in other areas.

I found it odd that no major network carried this live. Is that a slap in the face? I thought so. But, as well all know, Americans are more interested in Honey Boo Boo than they are in politics. :(

• Members
I watched the address in full, not live as I am overseas, but I really like the address. Something needs to be done and I think this is a great start and will at least get the conversation rolling.

Totally agree! It was an amazing address. I could not disagree with a single thing he said.

And yet, tomorrow, the anti-Obamans republican-party-logo-the-elephant.jpgwill spin it as an impeachable offense and some will threaten to shut down the government.

The statistics he gave are irrefutable: illegal immigration is down under his watch, deportation of criminals is up, illegal immigrants do pick our produce, and it would be impractical to deport all those who are in the country illegally. Yet these facts won't be addressed directly by the Grand Greedy Old Party. If I hear even one factual rebuttal tomorrow, or a workable alternative, I'll be amazed.

photo.jpg

The other thing I like about Obama's speeches is that he never fails to acknowledge our shared humanity. He focuses on how we can be an inclusive society, and not on how we can make life miserable for those around us.

Our local CBS affiliate broadcast the speech live, even delaying their coverage of Thursday Night Football for a half hour. :thumbsup:

Bravo!

Of course this also guarantees immigration will be a front-burner issue in the 2016 elections. Hillary just issued a statement lauding Obama's action. And the point that it depends on the next administration not reversing it, and ultimately on Congress doing something permanent.

Meanwhile the Republican response continues...

Shooting-yourself-in-the-foot.jpg

• Members

As one of the usual nay saying suspects, I basically agree with what BO said, however, always a however, I reserve judgment until I see what actually happens. There are several possibilities some of which are not all that pleasant. One being we may soon have a "new" legal workforce equal to all the jobs created since 2008. Will their taxes equal the cost of benefits? Etc.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

And yet, tomorrow, the anti-Obamans republican-party-logo-the-elephant.jpgwill spin it as an impeachable offense and some will threaten to shut down the government.

Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on immigration - Friday, November 21, 2014

'Well, there's nothing we can do,'" said Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, who was among a small group of conservatives arguing impeachment should be on the table as a last resort.

Conservative lawmakers are pushing to insert language in upcoming must-pass spending bills to block Obama's order. Party leaders warn that could lead to a government shutdown.

If I hear even one factual rebuttal tomorrow, or a workable alternative, I'll be amazed.

photo.jpg

House Speaker John Boehner said Friday that President Barack Obama was "damaging the presidency" with his unilateral action on immigration. He said the Republican-run House will not stand by, but gave no hint of what the response would be.

There are several possibilities some of which are not all that pleasant. One being we may soon have a "new" legal workforce equal to all the jobs created since 2008.

The "new" legal workforce is identical to the "old" illegal workforce. Same jobs, same workers. The only thing that's changed is that they won't be under threat of deportation.

Of course, as it always has, the ag industry still has the option to hire U. S. citizens to pick our produce and pay them what it takes to make the jobs attractive. Just as we still have the option to pay the resulting higher prices. Those options were open to us yesterday, and they are open to us today. The President said nothing to change that.

Will their taxes equal the cost of benefits? Etc.

They won't get any additional benefits, they'll just pay taxes. So, I believe the answer is "Yes".

As I understand it, these immigrants will be able to buy health insurance under Obamacare, but they will not be eligible for the subsidies that U. S. citizens are. Those immigrants who choose to enter the system under the President's program will have health insurance that they pay for and will not have to utilize emergency rooms that they don't pay for. So, as far as I can tell, the balance between taxes, payments, and benefits should improve.

Will the GOP come forward with better legislation? The betting window is open. :rolleyes:

bookieDM_228x340.jpg

"It would be impossible" to defund President Obama's executive actions on immigration through a government spending bill, the House Appropriations Committee said Thursday.

In a statement released by Committee Chairman Hal Rogers's (R-Ky.) office hours before Obama's scheduled national address, the committee said the primary agency responsible for implementing Obama's actions is funded entirely by user fees.

As a result, the committee said the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) agency would be able to continue to collect fees and carry out its operations even if the government shut down.

"This agency is entirely self-funded through the fees it collects on various immigration applications," the committee said in a statement. "Congress does not appropriate funds for any of its operations, including the issuance of immigration status or work permits, with the exception of the E-Verify program. Therefore, the appropriations process cannot be used to 'defund' the agency."

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/224837-appropriations-panel-defunding-immigration-order-impossible

• Members

The "new" work force will get uppity now there is no threat of deportation. They will want more money for less work. It is the American way. ^_^

I am just kidding with those comments. I hope it works out exactly as lookin thinks it might.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Actually almost all studies of the subject indicate that , once they obtain legal status, immigrants start shifting into more stable and better paid employment. Surprise, surprise.

Actually the shift starts as they they become more fluent in English but it accelerates with the green card.

====

the committee said the primary agency responsible for implementing Obama's actions is funded entirely by user fees.

As a result, the committee said the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) agency would be able to continue to collect fees and carry out its operations even if the government shut down.

That's a little bit of a fudge. Sounds to me like the committee chair critter would really rather duck the issue as much as possible.

• Members

Well that was kind of underwhelming
BY DAVE ROSS on November 21, 2014 @ 6:04 am (Updated: 10:29 am - 11/21/14 )

As I understand it, the immigration policy announced by President Obama - or as I assume the Republican leadership will now address him, His Magnificence Emperor Barack The First - is that since we can't afford to deport all of the 11 million people who are here without papers, we'll concentrate on deporting the undocumented terrorists, felons, and gang bangers who no one likes.

For the approximately 4 million undocumented-but-otherwise-law-abiding parents who have been here for at least five years and whose children were born here as of Thursday, and who agree to pay all taxes, and who make it through a background check, we'll sell them some valid documents for a fee.

So the government is telling these 5 million people, register yourselves, pay us and you won't be any closer to citizenship, but we will agree not to rip your family apart.

Which I have to say is certainly very nice of the government. In fact I'm sure these 4 million people are right now composing thank you notes.

THANK YOU government for letting us pay you not to rip our families apart...

But I admit that what I don't get is how that could be called amnesty.

After all the warnings this past week, I was envisioning some sweeping Imperial Directive saying the borders are open! Free Obamacare and medicinal pot for everybody who speaks Spanish.

Instead, it's basically a memo saying we're clamping down on the border - which everybody wants, we're kicking out criminals - which everybody wants, and those of you with families who pay us a little protection money we'll sell you an immunity necklace that expires in three years. Merry Christmas.

e9ef8e9ea29297a4371810cf14259ba1.jpg

Dave Ross

• Members

Does your post mean you think most of those flooding into the US are political refugees? Or, should various current citizens adopt all of them? It seems to me that most of those executive actions were in response to highly publicized and specific situations. I personally know of one person whose life was definitely in danger if she returned to her home country. She did manage to stay here in the US but it took a LOT for it to happen.

For a very long time the US has had a very mixed bag of laws and attitudes regarding immigration. I have tried to help some very talented folks from other countries who would have made good money, paid lots of taxes and been very useful citizens immigrate or just get a green card. No joy. Yet, millions have simply walked across the border. The result has not been total chaos but it has resulted in a very big and expensive problem with no simple solution. As always a little forethought and concurrent action would have produced wonders or at least ameliorated the situation enormously.

Best regards,

RA1