Suckrates

Downsizing Sets You Free......

Guest callipygian

Charlie, we are very much kindred spirits, but let me share what I have learned. Memories are things that exist in your mind, NOT in boxes.... and if you have all your memories in boxes, but dont look at the boxes, what becomes of the memories ? Bite the bullet, chuck the shit..... and you'll be amazed that once its gone, you wont even miss it.....

I disagree to a point. As I get older, my memories follow suit. Had it not been for some of the "things" that I have come across amongst the clutter of a 94 year old parent who is in my care; I would have never had the memory.

I'm personally finding that it is easier to get rid of some of my stuff than it is for me to get rid of the stuff which is/was my parents, and their parents and siblings, which of course were my grandparents and Aunts and Uncles. It's where I came from and people whom I grew up around, even though it has no immediate impact of being sacred or defining of who I am.

I guess at the end of the day, we want peoples things to be treated as respectfully as we treat(ed) them during life and especially in death. And there in-lies the quandary. It's not just memories that bind us together. It's stuff!

There are vultures estate buyers who will be more than happy to come into your dearly departed's home and offer you pennies on the dollar for what the true value of some things are. It's what they do.

Yes, even in death, capitalism finds a way to move forward and thrive.

• Members

I disagree to a point. As I get older, my memories follow suit. Had it not been for some of the "things" that I have come across amongst the clutter of a 94 year old parent who is in my care; I would have never had the memory.

I'm personally finding that it is easier to get rid of some of my stuff than it is for me to get rid of the stuff which is/was my parents, and their parents and siblings, which of course were my grandparents and Aunts and Uncles. It's where I came from and people whom I grew up around, even though it has no immediate impact of being sacred or defining of who I am.

I guess at the end of the day, we want peoples things to be treated as respectfully as we treat(ed) them during life and especially in death. And there in-lies the quandary.

There are vultures estate buyers who will be more than happy to come into your dearly departed's home and offer you pennies on the dollar for what the true value of some things are. It's what they do.

Yes, even in death, capitalism finds a way to move forward and thrive.

Calli, I used to think as you do, but was very unhappy when I looked around and realized things were out of hand.... As I said in my original post here, it was a long process getting to where i am now. I would put 3 things in a bag and then take 2 out....

Whats the point ????

In the end, its just things, and the people they are attached to are gone, but will NEVER be forgotten, whether I have a knick-knack of theirs or not.