Guest tomcal

How old do you want to live?

• Members

I do believe that when I get to the age that I wish to depart that I'll be the one to make that decision. That does not mean I am suicicidal. It means I have always said I want to decide myself when I die. If I go out before then, then so be it. But, I have an age in mind that I have said for about 20 years that I will be done with life. I am not religious and have no worries about going out my own way. I hope this does not sound insane but I have said this for 20 years and told my family well in advance. They always get upset when I talk about this. But, it is something I have never strayed from at all.

When you do decide that your time has come, may I offer an old Irish toast for you Mr. Oz

9781-stpatricksday.jpg

Thinking on this, I've watched quite a few relatives live into their late 80s or 90s, one to 103.

To a one, they all, so long as they were compos mentis, wanted to stick around just as long as possible. Even those in pretty considerable physical distress, such as one who long suffered severe COPD after decades of cotton-mill work.

Of course what do I know here at age 55, but I tend to think I'll be of like mind.

If you're curious about how long you've got left, just monitor your sense of smell.

"...Loss of the sense of smell predicted death more accurately than did a diagnosis of cancer, heart failure or lung disease, the only other common cause of predicting it more accurately being severe liver damage."

There is a sick joke somewhere in there about my not being able to tolerate the smell of liver cooking.

• Members

Boiling the alcohol out of liver shouldn't smell too bad. :smile:

I have never liked to eat liver and almost never have done so but the one time I found it almost palatable was when it was broasted. The Broaster was invented by a very talented older gentleman in the late 1950's. He invented various things and had set up a demo restaurant in northern Illinois. I was traveling with my father on a business trip when we were invited to try various broasted dishes. Being young, dumb but polite, I tried the liver and found it edible. I have no idea what happened to the Broaster thereafter.

The gentleman's name was LAM Phelan and reputedly he invented the mercury thermostat and the auto cut off gasoline nozzle among other things. Long past now, I am sure.

Funny what you remember so many years later.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

Boiling the alcohol out of liver shouldn't smell too bad. :smile:

I have never liked to eat liver and almost never have done so but the one time I found it almost palatable was when it was broasted. The Broaster was invented by a very talented older gentleman in the late 1950's. He invented various things and had set up a demo restaurant in northern Illinois. I was traveling with my father on a business trip when we were invited to try various broasted dishes. Being young, dumb but polite, I tried the liver and found it edible. I have no idea what happened to the Broaster thereafter.

The gentleman's name was LAM Phelan and reputedly he invented the mercury thermostat and the auto cut off gasoline nozzle among other things. Long past now, I am sure.

Funny what you remember so many years later.

Best regards,

RA1

I have somewhat the same reaction to liver, yet I do loved a classic Jewish deli chopped liver and egg sandwich on rye.