AdamSmith

Listen up Cameron, the Queen doesn't 'purr'

Listen up Cameron, the Queen doesn't 'purr'

By Hannah Betts

1:51PM BST 24 Sep 2014

The Telegraph

Despite not being on intimate terms with the fellow, I can tell you how David Cameron awoke this morning. For 30 blissful seconds there was merely a contented blur. Next, he remembered his recent coup in Jocklandia and a beam began to spread. Then: "Gaaaaah! PURR-gate!" There is no way that second 33 did not have D-Cam feeling like the world's biggest banana, because, in saying that Her Majesty purred over the referendum result, that is what he is.

Let's get this straight: the Queen does not purr. She may steer, suggest, propose, decree; she may hear, elicit, lend perspective and bring calm. She may even, in the satirist's fantasy, emit an excited falsetto squawk when presented with a perfectly prepared gin and tonic, or rather nice horse. She does not, however - emphatically not - purr. And it should be off with his head at the very idea.

There are purring women, of course, and purring is their prowess: that ravishing resonance occurring somewhere between the mellifluous and the gravelly - think contemporary pussycats Eartha Kitt, Fennella Fielding, Joanna Lumley and Mariella Frostrup.

Marilyn Monroe was pure purr, a woman who transformed her voice into a musical instrument --uniquely dulcet, yet pulsating, dripping in charm --and a force in no way secondary to that tremulous, blancmangey body.

Anna Chancellor is a woman with a purr in her, in a way that makes her incarnation in the public imagination as Four Weddings and a Funeral's Duckface nothing short of a travesty. Joan Collins is in possession of a purr promising a growl.

Baroness Thatcher - like forebear Elizabeth I - could purr with the best of them -- the iron fist in the velvet purr, as politic and deadly as Helen of Sparta. Lilith, Eve, Nefertiti, Cleopatra, Mata Hari (all honeytraps, in fact) - one knows that, to a woman, they were purrers all.

My own finest purr came when, talking to a lover in a moment of exquisite intimacy, he swooned: "Tell me again in the beautiful voice." Reader, I felt obliged.

One pities the non-purrer. Without this weapon in their arsenal, how do such specimens survive?

A few, Her Majesty, not least, are simply above it -- their power lying not in manipulation, but in fact. Mr Cameron can reassure himself: his weekly meeting with Her Majesty is going to make this morning's awakening angst look like a walk in the (royal) park.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11118748/Listen-up-Cameron-the-Queen-doesnt-purr.html

• Members

The Queen certainly does not purr. Those other mentioned gals certainly did. However, one must remember that even the pussycat with the loveliest purr can still have claws. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1