AdamSmith

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Guest StevenDraker

I don't understand why 16 and 17 year olds were allowed to vote on the referendum, while Scots not living in Scotland were not allowed to vote.

My guess is that the 16 and 17 years old and young generations in general are those who will have to live with the outcome of the referendum. Those who immigrated are less concerned.

• Members

States that are based on underlying tribal constructs (say Germany or Poland) are a bit more natural to homo sapiens sapiens. Takes a lot less work to convince the folks they share an identity worth rallying around.

But I agree that anything beyond an extended family is artificial and requires a lot of social effort to maintain.

The interesting thing is not that larger social/political constructs are difficult to create and keep going. What's interesting is that it's possible to do it at all. Who would believe it was possible to convince several hundred million folks that they should share resources like they were family if we couldn't look around and see it done every day.

Back in the 1780's there was a lot of carping that it would be impossible to get 3 million folks scattered from Boston to Savannah to feel any kind of kinship. Well, it took 4 score and a bit more years, but we managed to get it done. (Did you notice that the use of the first person plural in the previous sentence didn't throw you for a loop? Took a lot of effort by many generations of people for that little "we" to be unremarkable.)

• Members

One thing that is amazing to me is that the US managed to construct anything at all. A lot of folks today make it sound so simple and so patriotic but it definitely was not that way in the beginning and for many, many years thereafter (even unto today?). There were so many compromises it is a wonder that our Constitution is not called the Great Compromise. Oh, right, it is. ^_^

This will be no surprise but the thing is that there have to be folks who are willing to see other sides and willing to compromise, not just be arbitrary. OK, I am always arbitrary. ^_^ You know what I mean, I hope. ^_^

One recurring theme seems to me, where are the folks willing to do things for others and not just me? As anyone is authority should know, the way to advance is to train another or others to do your job. The same is true for democracy, we have to sacrifice for others.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

One recurring theme seems to me, where are the folks willing to do things for others and not just me? As anyone is authority should know, the way to advance is to train another or others to do your job. The same is true for democracy, we have to sacrifice for others.

When it involves close kin, most of us seem naturally inclined (or at least easily persuaded) to help out even when it involves a degree of trouble &/or danger. (Even if it is for that idiot fuck up of a nephew :lol: ). The real trick is in conning ourselves into doing something similar for total strangers.