Lucky

Joan Rivers in Critical Condition- Not Conscious

Guest StevenDraker
Melissa Rivers Already Contemplating Medical Malpractice Suit After Confirming That Joan Rivers Had Been Cleared For Endoscopic Procedure By Her Cardiologist

joan-and-melissa-rivers-getty-images.jpg

Joan and Melissa Rivers - Getty Images (Photo : Frederick M. Brown - Getty Images)

Melissa Rivers has always come across as her mothers' daughter and in the coming weeks she is likely going to prove it. When Joan Rivers checked into NYC's Yorkville Endoscopy Clinic for a simple procedure no one could have guessed that legal action would likely be the end game. According to sources close to Melissa, her mother did indeed consult her cardiologist in advance and had been medically cleared for the throat procedure that ultimately left her in full cardiac arrest.

Already there has been rumblings about a malpractice lawsuit and one thing is certain — the details have been sketchy from the start. Sources close to Mt. Sinai Hospital, where Rivers was transferred to after she stopped breathing, claimed that they were unclear on how long the comedienne's brain had been deprived of oxygen before she was put into a medically induced coma. Logic says that if Rivers had been monitored closely then those caring for her should have had a pretty clear handle on her real condition, minute-by-minute.

One possible scenario being readily discussed is whether or not the sedative used during the endoscopy was ultimately too strong for the legendary star. If something like Propofol was used then one of the side effects is slowed breathing which can lead to cardiac arrest. We aren't sure what Rivers was given at the Yorkville Clinic, but any of the approved anesthesias can be deadly if used improperly or without constant supervision of the patient.

Adding to the confusion is the fact that Rivers' autopsy was inconclusive and more test results are needed to figure out the true cause of her death. While Joan was 81 years old, it seems that right up until the night before her procedure she was actually in great health, making her death both shocking and untimely. It's a pretty fair bet that once Melissa Rivers struggles to get herself and her son Cooper through her mothers' funeral she will be demanding answers and not stop until she actually gets them.

Melissa has reportedly told friends that she wholeheartedly believes that if her mother's procedure had been done in a hospital she would still be cracking jokes today.

There is some distressing news being reported by the New York Daily News. Not confirmed yet anywhere that I can find, but that paper has seemed to be closest to the whole story since it first began.

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/clinic-denies-joan-rivers-surprise-biopsy-article-1.1934795

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/joan-rivers-surprise-biopsy-cut-air-supply-source-article-1.1934178

• Members
She probably did. I remember seeing this at one time, and I was just so amazed at the intensity to which she approached her work.

Yes, I recall seeing that 'Piece of Work' film a few years ago and she was either working, or on the phone trying to get work. LA, Vegas, Jersey City, it didn't seem to matter.

I've really enjoyed all these threads on her as they give a much more comprehensive look at who she was. One of the most impressive things to me was the enduring relationships she formed. She had a bunch of folks who stuck close to her all her life.

(Sorry, MsAnn, out of 'Likes' already and here it is, not even lunchtime yet!)

1933-4586.jpg

• Members

But, as commander in chief, cannot be bothered to show up at the funeral of only two star general killed in any recent war? Shame.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

There is no explanation. What needs explaining is why a golf game is more important than a general officer's funeral? Or, a corporals. But, I can understand why a president cannot attend every military funeral when he causes so many.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

So if it's not practical to attend all the military funerals, why is the general officer's to be the exception?

If the Prez wants to honor one for all, why not choose the corporal's? Two stars can get all the rigamarole the general's family wants. A corporal's family might actually derive some comfort from the President showing up.

• Members

The special this past Friday nite with Kelly, Giulliana and George was touching and Funny..... and you could see and hear the hurt and loss in Melissa's face and words....

It was SAD, but a VERY worthwhile and moving Tribute show.

Word is that Kathy Griffin has been offered Hosting duties and is currently in negotiations. Melissa Rivers choice, and has given her blessings.

I think that's fantastic. I hope that Kathy does it. She is the right person for the job with Joy Behar being a far far second place.

Kathy Griffin tweeted on Wednesday night, “Just 2 clarify. I have not contacted E! & they have not contacted me.” Just who will get the position — whether it be Griffin or someone else — remains to be seen.

• Members

The Latest buzz

kathy-griffin-nene-leakes-fashion-police

Well, this is getting quite inneresting.

We had heard Kathy Griffin was about to be stepping into Joan Rivers' spot on Fashion Police, but now we're hearing she's got some competitionicon1.png!

And one fellow frontrunner comes in the form of a very opinionated Real Housewives star.

We have EXCLUSIVELY learned that NeNe Leakes is also a frontrunner for the gig not only because she has started her own clothingicon1.png line, is definitely one of Atlanta's fashionistas, is opinionated, and has serious comedic timing, but also because E! is looking to diversify their panel with a different ethnicity.

On the other side, while Kathy is obvi HIGHlarious, she doesn't necessarily have the fashion background, which is why other ladies are also being considered even though they aren't as high on the list as these two.

[ Photos: Joan Rivers' Best Quotes & One-Liners! ]

Tyra Banks is right below the two, but it seems E! is concerned she doesn't have a strong enough point of view to fill Joan's highly opinionated seat.

Another source has EXCLUSIVELY told us that while these three are leading the pack, Lisa Lampanelli and Amy Schumer are also being considered. As they're both comediennes, we're sure they'd have no trouble getting the laughs!

But while we wait for the grand reveal of the lady who will be making her mark on Fashion Police come January 2015, we ask you…