TampaYankee

5 Things You Should Never Put In Your Potluck Dish

• Members

5 Things You Should Never Put In Your Potluck Dish

Posted: 08/12/2014 9:55 am EDT Updated: 08/12/2014 9:59 am EDT

You're probably not going to bring triple garlic dip or raw shellfish to a friend's get-together, but there are some less obvious foods to avoid, too.

By Lynn Andriani

Green Bell Peppers
    slide_360560_4035961_free.jpgMrKornFlakes/iStock/Thinkstock
    While red, yellow and orange bell peppers hog the spotlight, greens are often maligned because they can taste bitter (as none other than Alice Waters declared in Chez Panisse Vegetables). Because they are harvested before they're ripe, they'll never taste as sweet as the other varieties. Another downside to being picked early: The skin is harder to digest and can cause people to burp.

Instead, try: Tomatoes. They can be stuffed and roasted just as peppers can, yet tend to be easier on people's palates (and stomachs).

Get the recipe: Stuffed Tomatoes with Sausage and Corn
    Cooked Carrots
    slide_360560_4035995_free.jpgcarpaumar/iStock/Thinkstock
    These healthy, grocery-store staples are commonly cooked, chopped and mixed into pasta salads, but they can be a tough sell since they often end up unpleasantly soft. Plus, a study shows crunch can go a long way toward making food tasty.

Instead, try: Raw carrots. If you slice the vegetables thinly (you can do it yourself or buy them preshredded), there's no need to cook them, and they'll stay fresh and crunchy, almost like a slaw.

Get the recipe: Crisp Carrot Salad with Currants
    Cilantro
    slide_360560_4036024_free.jpgHandmadePictures/iStock/Thinkstock
    Disliking this herb -- a cornerstone in Mexican and Thai cuisine -- might not just be all in a picky eater's head. Some studies have linked an aversion to cilantro with specific genes involved in taste and smell, which suggests that the reluctance could be rooted in a person's DNA.

Instead, try: Italian flat-leaf parsley. Its herby flavor will brighten any dish that you'd ordinarily add cilantro to, but it's much more widely liked. Typically used in Italian cooking, parsley goes especially well with tomatoes, whether in black-bean salad or salsa-like dips.

Get the recipe: Tomato Relish
    Stinky Cheese
    slide_360560_4036027_free.jpgbelchonock/iStock/Thinkstock
    You may love goat and blue cheeses (and we're right there with you), but it must be said that they aren't the most commonly adored dairy products out there. Even varieties that lack that punch-you-in-the-face smell still have a distinct taste many people just don't enjoy.

Instead, try: Shredded Parmesan or cheddar. They're milder options for topping salads yet still deliver some oomph. If you want to bring a cheesy dish to a party, try a spread that uses Parmesan and sour cream or yogurt as a base.

Get the recipe: Herb and Cheese Dip
    Raw Red Onions
    slide_360560_4036028_free.jpgPiotr Marcinski/iStock/Thinkstock
    Red onions can add a critical zip to green salads and sandwiches and are often served raw because of their gorgeous color, which fades when cooked. Still, they have a pungent taste that can linger for hours or even days, and some people suffer indigestion or heartburn after eating them.

Instead, try: Watered-down red onions. Soaking slices of the onion in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes before adding them to a dish will significantly lessen their bite. Or use scallions instead -- they give dishes a subtly sharp note but aren't as strong.

See original article at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/12/potluck-foods-never-to-bring-to-party_n_5651164.html

• Members

I can't stand mushy carrots. I take them raw or sauteed lightly in butter but still al dente.

I have the gene that interprets the flavor of cilantro as the taste of soap. Yuck!! I also possess the gene that senses strong bitterness to red food dye. :o

Also, I'm no fan of red onions. I've never been able to abide raw onions until the Vidalia and sweet Peruvian onions hit the scene. I suspect my taste buds are overwhelmed by the sulfur in regular onions. Before the sweet onions I only ate cooked onions which I loved, if they were cooked enough.

• Members

Most everything on that list is delicious, depending upon how served. Raw green peppers, raw onions, blue cheese (or the like) + raw carrots served on a mixed green salad. Yum.

There is no end to veggies and their scrumptiousness. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I'm with Expat, hate cooked carrots and especially the SOAP WEED. Never cared for green bell peppers, and was just thinking last night I didn't need the red onions in a meal I was eating... Stinky cheese, I'll try anything once and a well laid out cheese platter with a good variety is always nice, in my book.

• Members

Once, many years ago, I took 3 couples to New Orleans to celebrate one couple's 2nd anniversary of their divorce. They were MUCH better friends once they were no longer married. They wanted this "done up right" so I rented two limos, flew them to New Orleans and went to dinner with them. I think the meal was at the Intercontinental Hotel. They were drinking fairly heavily and having a good time. I, of course as the pilot, was not drinking. Had a nice meal and they asked me to pick out some cheese courses afterwards. So, I did, the slinkiest goat chesses I could find. With their lubrication, they loved them. :smile:

Even 30 years ago, this was a $5,000 night with the meal well over $700. Today, who knows? Much more, for sure.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Personally, I really enjoy honey glazed carrots http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunny-anderson/honey-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

I use green peppers in many many dishes I prepare as it adds a nice flavor, imho. And I really love a good stuffed pepper, but heck I love most things that are stuffed :smile:http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/mr-johns-meat-stuffed-bell-peppers-recipe.html

I use red onions frequently and usually have one on hand all the time. For me, the key is to soak them in lime juice to take away the bite some.

And I could skip most any meal (and have many times) for a platter of assorted cheese (and stinky cheese in that assortment is a must), fresh bread and fruit, with a wonderful bottle of wine (a port or a cab is my preference).

• Members

Thank you for imho. It seems to me to be pretentious to use IMHO. :smile: At the very least, contradictory. :smile:

Vidalia, Walla Walla and Texas Sweet Onions are a nice change of pace to avoid "the bite".

Green peppers (and others) cannot be beat, either raw or cooked.

Interesting that you suggested port and cab in the same general reference.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Interesting that you suggested port and cab in the same general reference.

Cab is my "go to" wine at most meals and as an aperitif, including a good choice for a variety of cheeses on a cheese platter. A port and/or riesling seems best for the narrower scope of blue cheeses, again imho :smile:

Another thing about red onions is to get the hang of how much is enough, but not too much. Also to get their flavor subtly rather than overwhelmingly into salads for example by chopping them very fine, then maybe incorporating them into the dressing.

Agree also that Vidalia and other sweet onion varieties can be heaven. Funny, when I was little I loved raw onions, then at about 13yo or so they started disagreeing with my digestion. Couple years ago (I'm 55 now) I dared some on a hot dog, and whoopee -- no problem! Raw onions are definitely back on the table frequently now. Diced on top of black-eyed peas, etc.

Finally, I too could live happily on cheese alone. Bread, fruit, port and/or cab optional. ^_^