Guest lurkerspeaks

Thoughts on Suicide????

Guest lurkerspeaks

The recent death of Robin Williams will hopefully bring some attention to mental illness and suicide.

I was wondering, what are your thoughts of suicide? Are you totally against it or are you ever ok with it?

I have a very good friend who has been diagnosed with terminal bone cancer about a year ago. He was given a few years to live. He is going thru some therapy, but it is not a cure, only a treatment. He suffers from quite a bit of pain on a daily basis. On top of it all, he also suffers from depression. He confided in me recently that he is considering suicide. After thinking about it, i let him know that I support his decision, whatever it may be. After all, in my opinion, it is HIS decision. I hate the thought of someone living their last days in constant pain, both physical and emotional.

What do you think? Should someone with a terminal disease be forced to live their life in constant pain, or is it ok to end it?

Guest tanman4u

I totally agree that it should be up to the person. If I were placed in that position I would probably make the same choice and I say probably because who knows what would really be going through my mind at that time. I'm also in favor of his being able to smoke weed, shoot heroin, or anything else that helps with the pain.

Guest callipygian

Should someone with a terminal disease be forced to live their life in constant pain, or is it ok to end it?

We live in a society which evolves very slowly when it comes to important life choices, human rights and the lawful right to exercise them.

I strongly believe that when it comes to terminal illness and diseases, which are in advanced stages of vanquishing one's physical and mental quality of life, that medical intervention to assist in a more accelerated conclusion should be a choice and a right for everyone.

Sadly, this is not the lawful case, but it is not without merit to say that with the right practitioner this can still be achieved.

Home hospice care is also a viable option, which, in itself does it's best to remove the pain; however the dying process can be a long and debilitating one not only for the patient but for the family and friends as well.

I wish your friend well.

• Members

Anyone who has not considered suicide at one time or another probably thinks very little or has little contact with his inner self. However, I think that is not this question as posed. Ultimately, suicide is a very personal decision and cannot be stopped if one is determined and still physically able to get about to some extent. I hate the idea that someone is so tormented mentally or physically or both that they feel they must think seriously about suicide. However, I also support their personal decision as being theirs.

There are, of course, a lot of side issues to include assisted suicide and the with holding of "something" that might slow the death process. One is legal in some places and the other in more. Those are fairly recent events, so some progress is being made.

Any thing that will ease the pain is OK by me.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

It has always puzzled/angered me that if a dog is suffering it is OK to put him down.

But for a human....... let them suffer. I blame that on religion.

And as I am not at all religious it angers me that I have to live by other people's twisted logic.

I am 100% for assisted suicide, whether it be by a medical practitioner or a friend or relative.

• Members

And just like Gay Marriage and several other things it's based on a specific religion's views, in opposition to the establishment clause of the US Constitution. But anytime this is pointed out they scream THEY are suffering PERSECUTION. Christian fucks told me I don't have the right to be married, or even to have sex at all... because *their particular reading* of an obviously much edited and self-contradicting magical book says their imaginary friend disproves... For fuck's sake.

I am a firm believer in one's right to die when they wish and in the way they wish. Whatever an adult wishes to do with their own body is totally up to them. I much prefer to take my own life than to have a member of my family taking care of me in the end. I have always said that I wish to go out my own way. I just wish they made it easier for people to do.