AdamSmith

Get 'er done by March 16, 2880

• Members

I thought I remembered the orbit had been recalculated based on more detailed data, so I looked it up. Turns out the latest guestimate by the boffins is about one in 4000. Or so says Wiki.

The Telegraph is not to be regarded as a trusted source. :lol: Might as well watch Hannity on Fox.

• Members

The relative effect of error source and certain known and unknown dynamics on the nominal along-track position intersecting the Earth are shown below, normalized in units of numerical integration noise. This expands on Table 3 of the published paper.

Parameter                                       Relative Along-track Effect  ----------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------  Solar particle wind                                    0.001  Galilean satellites                                   -0.333  Galactic tide                                         -0.833  Numerical integration error (128-bit vs. 64-bit)      -1.000      (9900 km, 12 min)  Solar mass loss                                       +1.333  Poynting-Robertson drag                               -2.333  Solar oblateness                                [   +4.08, +1.75]  Sun-barycenter relativistic shift                    +81.0        (inc. in nominal)  61 most perturbing "other" asteroids                -144  Planetary mass uncertainty                      [ +132,  -156]  Solar radiation pressure                           -1092  Yarkovsky effect                                [+1152, -6924]

Numbers in brackets indicate a range of possible values due to poorly known physical parameters. These factors together reduce prediction window extent from 2880 to 2860 (-20 years, or -2.3%)

______

Thanks to NASA's good explanation (tip of the hat to AS), my understanding of the matter is ever so much clearer now. :logik: