wayout

Here's a headline you don't see every day....

• Members

The above totally baffles me. Any SIC aka co-pilot should be able to land an aircraft in similar circumstances. Else, why have one?

I once picked up a King Air 200 in VNY (Van Nuys, CA). The pilot who flew the aircraft during the acceptance flight only had one arm. He placed his left "fake" hand (no arm) on the yoke and flew using his right hand only. He was very proficient and I had no problem with his performance. There are obvious potential problems but he overcame them in his ordinary routine. One being the power controls moving from such as full power to less when they are not being held in the full power position. This can be overcome by simply adjusting the friction locks on these controls until they are difficult to move but will not inadvertently move when released. Problem solved.

This captain took routine check rides with the FAA and conducted everyday operations under Part 135 (Public Transportation) rules of US charter.

Perhaps you see why I am perplexed.

Best regards,

RA1