Guest lurkerspeaks

Greatest female singer?

Guest lurkerspeaks

A two part question-

1) who do you feel is the greatest female singer currently alive?

2) who do you feel is/was the greatest female singer of the 20th/21st centuries?

Guest epigonos

I am going to assume you are excluding opera singers and thinking more along the line of pop singers.

I am a fan of unusual and distinctive voices and with that in mind for the deceased singer I would nominate Judy Garland and although I'm not a big fan of her non singing persona or her acting I would nominate Barbara Streisand for the still living singer. Both of these women have wonderfully distinctive voices that are instantly recognizable.

• Members

For those that have passed on, it would be a toss up between Whitney Houston and Ella Fitzgerald. Alive it would be between Barbara Streisand and Celine Dion. And what the hell, I like JKANE's nomination of the Bieb's.

Guest Cranky

Farr too many singers are overlooked in this type of thread. I find it too subjective to be meaningful.

Those who replied have nominated many great singers both living and dead, but the list could go on for quite a while.

My personal favorite....Dusty Springfield.

Deceased since 1999 of breast cancer she was an incredible interpreter of songs and styles. She could sing almost anything. R&R Hall of Fame, UK R&R Hall of Fame, OBE, Grammy Hall of Fame for Dusty In Memphis, Grammy Hall of Fame for The Look of Love, and many other awards and accolades.

She battled depression as well as alcohol and drug abuse. Her life story is sure to be a movie someday IF they can ever find someone to play her. No one should tackle the part unless they are will to lip sync the hits.

But, a West End musical is in the works and will probably go into production next year....

JMHO.

Guest lurkerspeaks

This thread was started with an open mind, realizing that there is such a HUGE range of styles, etc.. Pop, Rock, Folk, Opera, Blues, jazz, etc.. And of course there is no right or wrong answer. Just a random stream of thought to hopefully get some conversations flowing and see where common threads lie.

As we open the lines of dialogue, we see/find people who we might share some similar interests with. Who knows, we might actually meet someone who could become a real life, in person type friend and not just an anonymous internet acquaintance. It was through just such an opportunity that I came to know a great person that I met from Hooboy's/Daddys. We first discovered our mutual love of Montreal and met up there one spring.. That was back in 2005. We have since made many trips to Montreal, and Rio De Janeiro and have become best of friends as well as travel companions.

What have we got to lose???

Guest lurkerspeaks

Not a thing and good for you guys!

Best regards,

RA1

Not a thing and good for you guys!

Best regards,

RA1

Thank you Ra1.. unfortunately, as noted in another of my posts, this best friend of mine is the one who was diagnosed with bone cancer. He is just one year older than I am, so still relatively young at 54..I am trying to remember the good times we shared instead of dwelling on the undeniable future.

• Members

Farr too many singers are overlooked in this type of thread. I find it too subjective to be meaningful.

Those who replied have nominated many great singers both living and dead, but the list could go on for quite a while.

My personal favorite....Dusty Springfield.

Deceased since 1999 of breast cancer she was an incredible interpreter of songs and styles. She could sing almost anything. R&R Hall of Fame, UK R&R Hall of Fame, OBE, Grammy Hall of Fame for Dusty In Memphis, Grammy Hall of Fame for The Look of Love, and many other awards and accolades.

She battled depression as well as alcohol and drug abuse. Her life story is sure to be a movie someday IF they can ever find someone to play her. No one should tackle the part unless they are will to lip sync the hits.

But, a West End musical is in the works and will probably go into production next year....

JMHO.

• Members

I totally agree with Dusty Springfield renditiom of "The Look Of Love" as being onde of the best vocal performances ever, and without a doubt, the sultriest.

There is a movie in development about her life for a while, hopefully they will make it, for a time Nicole Kidman was supposed to play the part , the fact that Dusty was bissexual was probaby the main attractuon for the Hollywood producers, crazy as they are for titilation

• Members

lurker-

Probably you have lost good friends before. I know that I have. It is never fun or fair but it is a part of life. We take our chances and hope for the best. One day we too shall be gone and can only hope that we have favorably influenced others.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest zipperzone

There are so many it's hard to choose but Celine Dione..

Funny you should pick her. So many people profess to hate her.

Me? No feelings either way.

• Members

I am with HITO.. for me it is Celine Dion. What an amazing voice.. I still remember buying a 12 inch remix of Unison.. the first song and my introduction to her. For me, I can never tire of her.. ^_^ (and yes I can listen to My heart will go on over and over again and still never tire of it lol)

Guest hitoallusa

I didn't know that so many people hate her. I find her sweet that she took time off to take care of her ill husband..^_^

Funny you should pick her. So many people profess to hate her.

Me? No feelings either way.