Guest wasabi

Is Ebola covered by Obamacare?

Concerned about Ebola? You're worrying about the wrong disease

James Ball

The Guardian

A deadly disease is set to hit the shores of the US, UK and much of the rest of the northern hemisphere in the coming months. It will swamp our hospitals, lay millions low and by this time next year between 250,000 and 500,000 worldwide will be dead, thousands of them in the US and Britain.

Despite the best efforts of the medical profession, theres no reliable cure, and no available vaccine offers effective protection for longer than a few months at a time.

If you've been paying attention to recent, terrifying headlines, you may assume the illness is the Ebola virus. Instead, the above description refers to seasonal flu -- not swine or bird flu, but regular garden variety influenza.

Our fears about illness often bear little relation to our chances of falling victim to it, a phenomenon not helped by media coverage, which tends towards the novel and lurid rather than the particularly dangerous.

Continued at http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/05/ebola-worrying-disease

• Members

What happened to we serve to live? The uplifting slogan of all the kings and queens subjects. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

I picked the wrong week to quit drinking. Wait. I have not quit. ^_^

Guest wasabi
At a Thursday press conference, CDC director Dr. Tom Frieden avoided claiming that this strain of Ebola is not airborne. Rebecca Hamman of Voice of Nigeria asked: “You just said the transmission of Ebola is through close contact. But it seems it’s going beyond that. The name itself was derived from a river. Do you mean the not water-borne or airborne?” She stated simply: “My people are scared at the rate at which it is being transmitted and moving very fast. I would like to know how Ebola is contracted.”

ebola-virus-3.jpg(Photo: European Commission DG ECHO/Flickr)
Frieden’s reply was not that Ebola is not airborne, but that it has not been “proven” to be airborne. He said, “Though there may be circumstances that it might have been spread through the air in situations like intubation of a patient, putting a breathing tube in them, that’s never been proven.”

Guest ButtWilde

Must resist my usual urge to linger in the Bush Meat aisle at my local Kroger.

That's a damn shame as I think there's a BOGO sale this coming weekend

Guest ButtWilde

Dawn, being the twenty dollar whore that she is, will probably contract Ebola from Gary, who just returned from Africa on a humanitarian mission to save lives.

See what I did there? back on topic.

Guest ButtWilde

Gary just died from Ebola and it turns out Dawn was married to Jeff who was cheating on her with Alan who is a Republican Congressman from South Carolina......but that's another headline. :rofl:

back to topic.

• Members

I thought that was sneezing. Come to think of it, I do have a friend who had an inside joke with his GF where they both referred to sneezing or needing to sneeze when they meant sex. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest StevenDraker

When so-called "experts" use terms such as "in principle" or "in theory," they are acknowledging their inability to state what happens "in reality." Bringing a deadly, communicable disease to the United States seems foolish, despite the admirable work that was being done by the two Americans who contracted Ebola. If experts in working with the disease cannot avoid contracting it, how will their health-care providers in Atlanta do so?

'Miraculous day' as American Ebola patients released

August 21, 2014

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/21/health/ebola-patient-release/index.html