wayout

Vintage Product Offerings

• Members

Watched my grandmother's sister (great aunt) use one. Although she lived in mid-town Memphis, she had a party line and when you picked up the receiver, an operator would answer with, "number please". She also added food coloring to margarine which was lily white when bought. Most things aren't really better than those days, only more expensive. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Most things aren't really better than those days, only more expensive. :smile:

I myself used one of those washers while staying with family friends out in the country on their farm. Also used their (2-seater -- fancy!) outhouse.

I would argue that many things today are rather vastly better than in those days. Cost be damned. :smile:

I suspect my dear departed grandma, who when young nearly had her jaw broken when the crank-start handle on their first car kicked back, might agree.

• Members

Why was your grandmother the one cranking the car? ^_^ Now that you remind me, I also remember my cousin's relatives in ruralville having a water pump inside the kitchen. It was a revelation for me to watch them use it and even more so, "prime the pump". I was fascinated. Also, maybe 10 years old. ^_^

I certainly agree that there are many technological advances at various prices but, are we happier? Do we have more free time to enjoy our family, friends and acquaintances? Or, are we slaves to the dollar and to technology? Likely, if we are lucky, some of both.

In addition, I abhor our throw away society. Few things are repaired and few folks can repair them, so we just discard some perfectly good items willy nilly. Most of this done in the name of economics. I can buy new cheaper than I can repair this item. There is something definitely wrong with this statement and philosophy. I did not grow up this way and it is difficult for me to adjust now to it. However, when faced in business with the reality of the dollars, I easily succumb.

Best regards,

RA1

Yeah, agree with much. My mama has the Dormeyer cake mixer she bought in, I think, 1959. Still fully functional; only work ever needed was a new cord 20 years ago. This exact model in fact:

dormeyer2.jpg

Although I confess I corrupted her by buying her a KitchenAid mixer a few years ago, which she loves -- no more laborious scraping down of the sides of the bowl, etc., which at her age was getting to be a painful nuisance.

Come to think, my own KitchenAid is nearing 30 years old. Will likely outlast me and end up a coveted item in my estate, unless some wag thinks to mount it on my headstone. :smile:

• Members

I love my KitchenAid products. They are heavy duty and, as you suggest, likely will last a lifetime. When making a high labor item like a lemon pie as per the Abigail Adams recipe, one needs all the patience and electric aid one can muster. It still takes hours to make and those who love lemon pie will fawn and more when eating it. ^_^

Good stuff lasts. My testimony to this effect is the friends we have. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

I did know an old lady who actually went through one KitchenAid mixer and needed to buy another one. She used it to knead bread dough 5 or 6 days every week, and after some 35 years of that, it gave up the ghost. What a performer.

Guest lurkerspeaks

Speaking of outhouses.... My mother's family was from the backwoods of Arkansas. I had an Aunt who was known as "Bug".. (Aunt Bug to me)..In her younger days, she had made a trip to the outhouse, and had fallen thru the hole into the "mess" down below. They said she was like a bug in there with all the shit.. From that day forward, she was known as Bug

Guest zipperzone

I love the ad for the swimwear with a zipper front.

Especially since they warn that the white one turns transparent when wet :hyper:

Wonder where they are available today. I know just the hunk I would give one to.