TampaYankee

8 U.S. Cities With the Most Retirees

• Members

Some surprising entries to me: Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Hot Springs.

I expected all to be in Arizona and Florida with Palm Springs maybe in the mix. Hot Springs looks like the cost of living winner. I'm very familiar with Clearwater and it is a great town if one could dry out the humidity.

Guest CharliePS

Unlike the other places on the list, Pittsburgh and Buffalo are not cities that people have retired TO--the retirees there are natives who have simply aged in place, and don't want to or can't afford to move elsewhere. The same thing has happened in much of the rural Midwest, especially in the Great Plains states, where the average ages are fairly high.

I thought it was funny that the blurb on Palm Bay showed a photo of the beach in "nearby Fort Myers," which is actually on the other side of the state, sort of like showing a photo of "nearby Malibu" in an article about the Mojave Desert.

• Members

I thought it was funny that the blurb on Palm Bay showed a photo of the beach in "nearby Fort Myers," which is actually on the other side of the state, sort of like showing a photo of "nearby Malibu" in an article about the Mojave Desert.

It struck me as a lazy copy writer or editor unwilling to scrounge up a beach shot a little closer to home. It is not like the lower East Coast of Florida is bereft of beaches. :no: <shakin' my head>