TampaYankee

For The Exiled New Yorkers And Those Who Travel To The Big Apple

• Members

Plans show tallest residential building on earth coming to Manhattan

By Dante D'Orazio on

July 12, 2014 05:17 pm

Had trouble transferring graphics so please see the complete article at: http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/12/5893961/nordstrom-tower-tallest-residential-building-in-the-world

(This link has been corrected from the original posting.)

• Members

Can't understand who would want to live or work at such altitudes. :o I've been on the Empire State elevators and they are amazingly speedy without giving much backlash, but still that ride is a trip in more ways than one. In an emergency when the elevators are out? No thanks. :no: Anybody crazy enough would do well to buy a parachute and jumping lessons just in case... oh, and a helmet too. :rolleyes:

Guest Cranky

These are not residential towers for your average New Yorker. The overwhelming majority of sales, at prices breaking all NY real estate market records, are sold to foreigners looking to invest in New York Real estate. Russians, Asians, and or course middle east sheiks are spending huge sums of monies to move in these monster buildings.

(A good friend lives on Central Park South and her views has just been obscured by one of these montrosuitries being built on 58th St.....)

Crank

• Members

Parachuting from buildings has been a sport for some time now. If I lived in such a structure as this, I would seriously consider having more than one parachute available. One would not wish to leave behind overnight guests. :smile: And, although I am against jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, in an emergency, regardless of venue, plane or place, I would jump in a NY minute. Plus, if you can afford the tariff for such a place, buying and keeping "current" a few parachutes is a miniscule investment.

I have a friend who lives in CA at the top of the hill on a certain beach. His home is 3 stories high and has a wonderful view of the ocean (not necessarily the beach). However, during his several years of residence, the question of neighbors "down the hill" building higher than his property has come up more than once. This can turn into a nasty fight in front of the zoning board. Ugh.

Best regards,

RA1

PS- Even though mentally appealing, I am not willing to seriously consider the "Spider Man" approach. ^_^